OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your theory?

Started by Clint Shook, March 26, 2014, 07:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint Shook

So what is your theory as to why "every gun is a little different" when it comes to a good choke/shell pairing?  Let's assume we are talking same make/model/barrel specs.     

Old Gobbler

Identical guns -----Choke thread  alignment in the muzzle ....bore surface uniformity ....chamber alignment , length , and forcing cone geometry etc.....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

alloutdoors

What Shannon said, basically just manufacturing tolerances. I suspect though that if you plotted the results for any given choke and load combo across guns of the same model you would get a bell curve type distribution. In other words, you would have a small percentage of outliers on either end but most would fall into a fairly consistent average range.

MossRem

Ditto to what everybody on here has already said (and said better than I could). Even with sophisticated technology and CNC machinery, gun companies still don't seem to be able to make two guns exactly alike. You can have the same model, same barrel length, same everything made on the same day, and there'll still be a difference.

Bigspurs68

All the above and I will add, barrell harmonics. Even the way you hold your gun when it is fired. 1100 fps is fast but letting a gun free jump will cause strange things to happen before the shot leaves the muzzle.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

memert116

Man, you guys have said a mouthful......I have no doubt that you guys have forgotten more about guns than I will ever know.... :icon_thumright:

DirtNap647

all of the above is correct ...well said

allaboutshooting

QuoteAll the above and I will add, barrell harmonics.

In January of 2013 I published "Harmonics in Shotgun Barrels" which summarized my findings over 3 years of the effects of harmonics on shotgun barrels. It was to my knowledge the first such detailed study done on that subject. There has been much written about the effects of harmonics on rifle barrels but  nothing to that time about harmonics on shotgun barrels.

The effects may surprise you.

It's not light reading but for anyone interested in the subject, I can provide you with a link to the article.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Clint Shook

Send the link.  It's raining this weekend.  Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Clint Shook on March 28, 2014, 10:20:24 AM
Send the link.  It's raining this weekend.  Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go: http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=580

Thanks,
Clark

Turkey Trot

I'll read that article because I've wondered for some time what role harmonics play in shotguns.

I've particularly been curious about harmonics and having an HS monopod attached to the barrel, or having an Uncle Mike's magnum sling swivel system clamped to a barrel.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

allaboutshooting

I hope you find it interesting.

Thanks,
Clark