turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

turkeys in the pines?

Started by jim67, March 25, 2014, 09:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim67

Hello, I have a 19ac piece of land we hunt,with permission to hunt another 20ac next to me which is mostly all pines. I have never turkey hunted in the pines before but have killed a few on our small property. My question is, do turkey go into the pines? Its kind of thick with a narrow powerline right of way bordering. I have never seen any turkey in there but have heard them roost next to it.                    Thanks, Jim

COssman14

From what I have seen here in Iowa they do. During deer season it seems like we kick a ton out of the pines on our land. Also 2 weeks ago I saw 10+ walking around in the pines while out scouting. Never tried to hunt the pines because of it being so thick in there. Not much info but I hope this helps you out!
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

1iagobblergetter

I don't normally hunt where there's a lot of pines, but one time when I was hunting wisc I called one in set up in pines. If it's real thick I'd try to set up bordering the powerlines so you can get a decent shot.

memert116

I hunted around pines in Missouri off some power line clear cuts.  They seemed to drift in and out of them pretty regularly. 

Uchee creek gobblers

Hey buddy I'm in Alabama so I'm use to the pines. Ive killed 85% of my birds in the pines. They use them a lot here. They'll roost in the tall pines and they'll strut and feed in the rows of the short pines once they shade the growth out and the hens will nest in the really thick young pines. You'll be surprised how many birds they'll hold.
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

ericjames

Quote from: Uchee creek gobblers on March 25, 2014, 09:50:34 PM
Hey buddy I'm in Alabama so I'm use to the pines. Ive killed 85% of my birds in the pines. They use them a lot here. They'll roost in the tall pines and they'll strut and feed in the rows of the short pines once they shade the growth out and the hens will nest in the really thick young pines. You'll be surprised how many birds they'll hold.

Im from Bama also, I bet 95% of the ones I've killed have been in pines. That's a majority of what we have here in southwest Alabama and southeast Mississippi

jmasters

Same here in N. central Florida, see a lot of birds in the pine rows.

SSCsnood

pine plantations in Alabama are absolute turkey factory's.....they hold more birds than any other type of woods from spring to fall IMO

Skeeterbait

All I hunt in Alabama is pines of various ages.  In pines that have been thinned, 5th rowed and sprayed they will live under them scratching back straw for worms and grubs.  They will travel the 5th rows.  Thick pines they will travel the service roads.  Setting up on the roads can put one on a leash and lead him right to you.  Oh how I wish to return to the days that timber management practices included burning out under the pines.  The burn would attract every turkey in the area.  Best thing about thinned pines is they give you a silent path on the 5th rows to move on a bird.

ericjames

There is allot of people around here that are getting back into control burns. It helps out a bunch.

alloutdoors

Depends on where you are. Pines in the south are great, but in my area of NY pines means stands of white pine that are pretty much biological deserts.

davisd9

Killed in pines this past Saturday and have a few other times. Turkeys like pines in the heat of the day to get out of the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Dtrkyman

A farm I guided in Illinois had a stand oh heavy pines, if it got hot and sunny it was a magnet, killed several in there later in the morning till 1pm looking for shade!

Old Gobbler

Turkeys look at trees differently that humans do ,mature pine trees that don't sway a inch in a blowing wind are frequented roosting sites for turkeys down my way - if the wind is blowing a turkey does not want to spend the next 12 hours fighting to stay on the limb .... Rock solid limbs in a old pine tree is a favorite - when the wind blows all night grumpy gobblers that stayed up all night on a swinging limb tend not to be in a gobbling mood sometimes

If the pine block is well shaded , it will be frequented on extremely hot days

If the pine block is burned , has green shoots, or a pond stream , or creek in it this is likely to be a popular spot for turkeys

If I have a preference , I will hunt on the fire breaks surrounding a pine block , the turkeys tend to move greater distances on the perimeter on the trees rather than down the center on the block , not that they won't come good distances , it just that they feel more secure crossing open fields on the outside of a pine block , or if the pine block borders a cypress dome these are prime areas - gobblers like to hang out in areas they can see long distances , not only for security , but it's a good way to spot other hens and follow them around

Scouting for turkeys I will walk perimeters around pine blocks on the fire breaks looking for tracks , sometimes after doing this and paying attention you can see where gobblers are running solo and entering and exiting several pine blocks you start to get a feel of what their home range is - this is done well before the season - a week or two before I won't go near the pine block for fear of running off the turkeys in it --Typically down here the pine block has low cover like palmettos if that ....walking around them will push the turkeys away from you --  just prior to the season I will scout the pines from a greater distance with a 60power spotting scope or listen from a 1/4 mile away or further
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon