OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2014 Bama Trip

Started by alclark2, March 24, 2014, 06:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alclark2

My wife and I drove from Indiana to Alabama on Friday night into Saturday morning. I showed up to the same forest logging trail that I shot my gobbler on last year. I went to the exact same spot... 7:53 am I have this guy on the ground. We didn't even have camp setup! My wife was sleeping in the car!

He has a 10" beard.

His spurs were 7/8" and 1" long

I used my Mossberg 835 with Indian Creek .675 shooting thug 6s in 3.5" @ 28 steps.
I called with an Ozark Custom Slate in spalted maple, H.S. Closer box call, and the finishing call was the Mike Yingling Bubinga Copper. There were probably 5-6 birds gobbling and 1-2 were probably jakes. After I took out that copper call he was crunching on the leaves and pine needles on a bee line to me. They gobbled to the other calls but this guy came in silent to the copper.

After driving 9 hours and showing up with no scouting I'm super happy with this bird. He is only my 3rd turkey. Anyway, our trip is just starting. Yesterday was spent at the laundromat after the monsoon. Today, no gobbles. I hope they get cranked up over the next few days. I'm going to go stuff myself with BBQ and drown in some sweet tea. Good luck out there folks! Go get them gobblers! 
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

JVA54

alloutdoors

beagler

Never Misses

hookedspur

Sounds like you had a good plan. Congrats
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bmhern

Nice bird, congrats!!

:icon_thumright:

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

guesswho

Way to get it done.  Congrats.  The BBQ ain't bad down here either.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

tomstopper

SouthernStrut

Nice job.  Congrats on a great lookin Bama bird!
Blake
Southern Strut True Custom Calls
- True Custom Glass, Crystal, Copper, Slate, etc.
www.southernstrutcalls.com

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk.  Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.  It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."  -Fred Bear

M,Yingling

Congrats on the bird ,,glad the call had a small part in taking the bird  ,,,Good luck on anther bird
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Rio Fan

Congrats!  Sounds like you've found a great spot.  :icon_thumright: