turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice: Repairing Broken Billy White Slate

Started by bamagtrdude, March 24, 2014, 03:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Thought I'd put this out there to the forum, since there are pot call makers on here, and get your opinions... 

When I first started hunting turkeys in the late 90's, I bought a Billy White Raspy Slate call; loved this call, called in & bagged many birds with it...  However, on a hunt, I dropped the call, and it "broke"; what I suspect happened is that the glass backing on the slate separated...  I contacted Billy, and he graciously sent me another call to replace the one I had; he did not want to go through the hassle of repairing it (at the time)...

But, something has always been nagging me in the back of my mind to attempt to repair that original Raspy Slate call -- probably more of a sentimental deal than anything, but ...  I'd love to have it working again, even if it doesn't sound quite as good as the original call did...

Any thoughts/ideas on repairing this call myself?  Let me know.

Thx,
BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

callmakerman

I'm guessing that you mean that the glass came off the pedestal under the slate. It does happen and usually all that you need to do is pop the slate out and re glue the sound board then do the same with the slate.  Sometimes you can pop a call in the microwave for a few seconds(10) and it heats the glue a little so you can pop the slate out. You can pop the slate with a dowel from the back side where the sound holes are with a little pressure it should pop out. When you go to glue the sound board in use a clamp to hold it in place. I use a 2 part epoxy for this and it will be cured in 5 mins. then use plumbers goop for the slate with a little clamp pressure on the slate to hold it. Not to much as you can crack the slate. Both glues can be bought at Lowe's or Ace hardware.

bamagtrdude

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about; thx for the tips!!  Boy, I'd love to get this call back in running shape!!
---

callmakerman

Be very careful with the slate if you do it in the microwave as it will be very warm and you could crack it if you put to much pressure on it.

bamagtrdude

---

jacannon

I used a heat gun to replace the glass in a woodhaven pot that I dropped last week. Just a little heat and it popped right out.