OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Devices for hearing assistance?

Started by BT, March 24, 2014, 01:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BT

Anyone use walker's game ear or a similar device to help hearing while turkey hunting, and if so, what's the best product on the market, with turkey hunting in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CASH

I use the Walker's Game Ears as my hearing is bad and getting worse. 

The Good, they magnify EVERY sound
The Bad, they magnify EVERY sound
The Ugly, they magnify EVERY sound

I mainly use them to locate gobblers in the morning in different terrain.  If you're sitting with them on and a woodpecker is nearby, they'll drive you up the wall.  Or if a coyote starts howling within 100 yards you will need to change your skivvies.

Overall I like them, they definitely help, but in case I haven't mentioned, they amplify EVERY SOUND
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

ericjames

Cash, how are they for telling the direction of a bird gobbling? My father in law in wanting some but he is worried that he would be able to tell witch direction to go.

CASH

Quote from: ericjames on March 24, 2014, 06:41:55 PM
Cash, how are they for telling the direction of a bird gobbling? My father in law in wanting some but he is worried that he would be able to tell witch direction to go.

Sometimes I can tell the general direction of the sound, but most times I have to take them off to pinpoint the direction.  To me, the closer the sound, the harder it is to pinpoint the direction.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

spurman

I used a game ear for years and they will help. I still had trouble telling the direction of a bird. If they gobble several times I was alright, 1 gobble and I could not tell where he was. But what Cash said is so true especially the wind. But on still mornings I could hear a turkey gobble that I could not hear without the game ear. My hearing is so bad now I use custom fitted hearing aids in both ears.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

DerekDixon

I use the Howerd Leight Impact sport. Like the others have said they amplify everything and I don't have a problem with figuring out where the sounds are coming from as far as right or left.

CASH

Quote from: spurman on March 24, 2014, 06:50:30 PM
My hearing is so bad now I use custom fitted hearing aids in both ears.

How do hearing aids work for you in the woods?  I'm in the beginning stages of filing with the VA for my hearing.  I need them bad, but at the same time I'm kind of nervous about being overwhelmed with hearing stuff I normally don't hear.

spurman

VA is where I got mine, I am on my second set. Cash get them and you will hear things you haven't been able to hear in years. It is overwhelming at times, I just take mine out.  In the woods they are great as long as the wind isn't to bad. I got the in the ear model I touch a little button and it will automatically tune both aids. Hearing aid technology has came a long way since I got my first set 5 years ago.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

CrustyRusty

Warning...you will no longer have an excuse if you get hearing aids..your wife will figure that out immediately and things will never be the same. :OGani:

Quote from: CASH on March 24, 2014, 07:01:44 PM
Quote from: spurman on March 24, 2014, 06:50:30 PM
My hearing is so bad now I use custom fitted hearing aids in both ears.

How do hearing aids work for you in the woods?  I'm in the beginning stages of filing with the VA for my hearing.  I need them bad, but at the same time I'm kind of nervous about being overwhelmed with hearing stuff I normally don't hear.

redmag

I use the Howard Leight and they work well.

Kilchis

I have had a pair of Howard Leight Impacts for 4-5 years and really like them.  Sound is magnified about 4x, but gunshots are muffled.  It takes an hour or so to get used to the amplified sound, and you will be amazed by the racket you raise moving thru the woods!

Disclaimer:  I have also used them turkey hunting, but have not yet dented the Oregon turkey population.

crossbow1968

as said , they  amplify eveerything so that gobbler might be alot further away than you think , or alot closer depends on what they are set at

land cruiser

I use sportsear and have no issues telling direction. 

BT

wilks

When my son and I were hunting together and he was hearing birds I was not I knew it was time to get my hearing checked.

I started with an audiologist and had my hearing tested. I really did not want to spend the $$ on hearing aids, I just wanted some help in the woods.

My Dr. researched this with her peers and recommended an in the ear custom molded hearing enhancement/protector for a company called Starkey. These are not true hearing aids but are digital amplifiers that cancel out any noise above 90db ,I think.

I'm here to tell you these things are awsum. You need to get used to adjusting the volume but the learning curve is pretty quick, hey have 2 levels of wind noise cancelling and i have no problem telling direction.
I have had some issues with the volume being too loud and misjudging how far off a bird is. ( makes me think he's closer than he really is)
I think the full name is Starkey Magnum ears. They are not cheap but cheaper than a true hearing aid. cost $1,200.00 per pair. Money well spent for me.