OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Flight control wads

Started by Red Huck, March 23, 2014, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Huck

What are the best choke constrictions for flight control wads, 12 and 20?

lumberjack

From what I gather, the Flight Control wads were designed to shoot through a standard, if you will, full choke.  I have had good results, with this combination.  However, I have not tried them trough a tighter choke....the gun has a fixed full choke, and I liked the results.  I hope this helps!  Good luck!

Old Gobbler

Look in the the 20 gauge area and there is volumes of information for the 20 - sumtoy and ssx are standouts

From what's little I can gather ' for the 12 gauge - Turlock makes a special choke just for that shell , and it's about the best choke for that particular shell , there may be some other chokes but I hear in 12 that's the one - I think it's a .650 when you call them up tell them the shell your using and they will likely get you the right choke for it
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

reynolds243

As mentioned in the 20 world the carlsons, SumToy and ssx are all VERY good. Carlsons and Turlock in the 12s

COssman14

I've have good luck with Carlson in my 12 ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

Gooserbat

For the $20 I would try a standard HS Undertaker.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Red Huck

The reason I ask is because they don't pattern well out of my 870 with a.660 Carlson. I thought I needed to open it up a bit but didn't want to buy a bunch of chokes.

COssman14

Try the flush mount carlson it's .675 for my Benelli not sure what it is for Remington or your factory full

Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

Red Huck

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 25, 2014, 10:46:50 AM
For the $20 I would try a standard HS Undertaker. That's a good price but it's a .665 and I think it needs opening up a bit more?

Red Huck

Quote from: COssman14 on March 25, 2014, 09:00:47 PM
Try the flush mount carlson it's .675 for my Benelli not sure what it is for Remington or your factory full   Thanks I will look in to that I may have a choke already.

Skeeterbait

I can't get the things to pattern worth crap in overbored Mossberg barrels.  They spray shot like a sawed off gun.  Now the wad travels 40 yards.  If I could hit one with the wad it might kill him.

surehuntsalot

I have always had good luck with then using the factory full choke,
I have a Remington 1100 3" Magnum with a 30" fixed full choke barrel that just loves the FC shells.
I have a .710 factory full choke tube for my 835 that will shoot some great patterns with the FC shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

appalachianstruttstopper

Non ported Undertaker for my 20 ga Rem 870.
I have had no luck with overbored bbls like 835, 935.
Had a Baikal 153 with a ported Colonial Arms choke that shot fcw in the 190's 10" at 40yds. missed alot of turkeys inside 20 yds also lol.

Devastator

I use the trulock chokes made for the fed hw 7 in both my rem 20 and 12 and get outstanding patterns.

Gooserbat

I shoot a Ballistic Specialties 655 in both of my 870s and they work great with flight control wads and like I said before I would look at an unported HS Undertaker in .665.  It's almost an exact knock off of the Ballistic's Choke I shoot in my guns and it's a fourth of the price. 

I'm going to try one in my boys 870 20 ga along with HW #7. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.