turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA boys, what's going on?

Started by strutnva, March 23, 2014, 03:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

I'm in south central part of state and birds are quieter than normal this year.  Some days they seem interested and some days gobblers are off by themselves.  I'm struggling wondering if bird numbers are down or are they just behind schedule.  What's going on where you are?  I'm not asking for specifics just a general area of state you are in and activity around you.

forcercon1

I'm in Southern VA as well, just outside of Emporia, VA. I have not heard any gobbling at this point. Over the past few weeks it seems the flocks have started to break up. The hatch 2 years ago was very strong and the kill #'s has been stable in my county so I'm hoping the bird #'s are good. This past year, the hatch seemed smaller, based on visuals, so I'm concerned on what next Spring will bring.

gobblinfever

its slow here in southern ky also. I believe this weather has got them behind a little.
Nothing better than turkey huntin

strutnva

I've went out for a couple weeks now and have only heard one bird gobble once.  Shock gobbled at a crow call once!!!  I have seen a couple birds running around my ground but they are not talkative.  Last year by this time, they were gobbling consistent every morning.

shark

Herd one gobble once this morning ,

FloppinTom

Saw two longbeards strutting with feeding hens  in one field and two longbeards feeding about 3 miles away in another field. All in northern VA.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

strutnva

Saw hens and jakes this afternoon but no big boys with them.

skimerhorn

Saw my first strutted last sat, and heard my first gobble yesterday. I heard it in Amelia, he was hammering int the tree at 653 till 715. He would answer a owl call.

turkeyfoot

Old Man said heard one this morning gobbling at crows after flydown

Vabirddog

N. piedmont still ganged up solidly in winter flocks.

strutnva

thanks guys, snowing now so I'm sure it's a little slow out there

jaybird

I was in Rappahannock County on 3/22 and 23 and heard nothing. Driving home on 3/23 on Rt. 29 south of Warrenton there was a flock of 30-40 in a cutover cornfield that had a Strutter  showing all he was the Boss. I see turkeys in that field every week. Hopefully, I will find the landowner before the season comes in.

Vabirddog

Snowing like crazy, we got about 4" already.