turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

limited out....

Started by Old Gobbler, March 23, 2014, 03:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Its a wrap for my Florida spring season -- woke up early and headed to my spot on DC Cattle ranch -- the sun popped up and it was apparent I was completely surrounded by angry gobblers - my best guess about 7 gobblers strung out in the area -- someone on the next property decided it was a good idea to drive a ATV around at 7:45 , so that was that for the gobbling -- They were closing in and amped up prior ,with fast cutting untill that happemed --I decided to hang in for the long haul - This particular spot kills more gobblers at 1200pm than anywhere I've ever hunted , its very cool and shady and has a abundance of hens - just got wait till the hens run off and sit on the nest and the party starts again - At about 10:45 I called up a hen from clucks from my Mun Ebony pushpin - this resulted in a back and forth locater yelp fest - next thing I know I hear the sound of a gobbler faintly strutting fffft...vroom..  behind me about 70 yards , this went on for 15 minutes more , finally out the corner of my left eye I see this black spot racing in at a flat run , I pulled the gun up and shot him as he passed by me at 25 yards

After about 10am the temperature can sometimes get to hot , when you look out and can see heat mirrages that's when I focus on shady areas , they can't take the straight sunlight/heat like that -- this one area is a favorite spot because adjacent to it is very thick nesting cover that hens prefer

Time to catch up with call orders -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

JVA54

hookedspur

Congrats on a sweet season !!!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

COssman14

Congrats. Very nice bird, and great story!
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

Mike Honcho

Rokhal07

Congrats Shannon. Area looks familiar for some reason.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Rokhal07 on March 23, 2014, 03:46:08 PM
Congrats Shannon. Area looks familiar for some reason.
best spot in the place .... let Barry know I'm gonna send him video & pictures of the gobbler he shot this week  :icon_thumright:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

DirtNap647

bamagtrdude

Good one, man - congrats!!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

alloutdoors

Nice bird Shannon, congrats!  :icon_thumright:

AUDoubleBeard

Rokhal07

Ill let him know..thanks.

Pressured Gobbler

Push pull and private land that's what I'm talking about :OGturkeyhead:

gwa

Way to go my friend.....

Denny

WillH

Good story! Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats on a good bird and a great season!!!