OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hevi Metal pellet counts and weight  (Read 5139 times)

Offline donjuan

Hevi Metal pellet counts and weight
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
I have tried to get an answer on other forums and by calling EM directly on what the pellets actually weigh in Hevi Metal loads. I cut apart a 3 inch BB shell and counted 109 pellets. Awesome, I thought. However, the EM rep on the phone told me the hevi pellets weigh the exact same as the steel. Now, if this was true, shouldnt there only be 90 pellets or are we getting closer to 1 1/2 ounces of bb and their hevi equivalent?
I also cut apart a 3 inch 2 and only got 164 pellets, where as 1 1/4 steel will average 156.
I know there are Hevi staffers around here and there is a love hate relationship with some and these shells, so I'm looking for someone who has the actual weights and unbiased info.  I want to know if I let a round of BBs go, thats what Im shooting. Not something the equivalent of 1s, because thats what the pellet counts resemble.
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Hevi Metal pellet counts and weight
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
I do not know the answer you are looking for...  Then again, I doubt EM does either.

My understanding is that with Hevi-Metal, the shot sized is based on the steel shot, which should all be the same size...

The Hevi-Metal will vary in size and density depending on what size steel...  So BB's will have larger hevi-shot slag of higher density than #4 Hevi-Metal will...

Now, looking at the slag Hevi-shot in a Hevi-Metal load, the slag varies greatly in size.  Speaking to two different reps gave me two different answers.  One rep told me that the density of the slag in a given shell is similar, while the other rep told me that the smaller slag is more dense so that all the shot in the shell has similar ballistics...

I have some friends that are avid waterfowl hunters who swear by the stuff.  Having shot it myself, I could see no difference than my standard steel for ducks (if anything I have a preference for and more confidence with standard steel)...  Having opened up some #3 loads, some of that slag is tiny (probably size #12 or so)...  That did not give me any added confidence.

I will add that I think there could be a bit more benifit with geese though....

Now, how is that for not answering a question? :smiley-char092:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline greenheadsonly4848

Re: Hevi Metal pellet counts and weight
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »
they are as good a value for a premium waterfowl shell that you will find

I do not know the answer you are looking for...  Then again, I doubt EM does either.

My understanding is that with Hevi-Metal, the shot sized is based on the steel shot, which should all be the same size...

The Hevi-Metal will vary in size and density depending on what size steel...  So BB's will have larger hevi-shot slag of higher density than #4 Hevi-Metal will...

Now, looking at the slag Hevi-shot in a Hevi-Metal load, the slag varies greatly in size.  Speaking to two different reps gave me two different answers.  One rep told me that the density of the slag in a given shell is similar, while the other rep told me that the smaller slag is more dense so that all the shot in the shell has similar ballistics...

I have some friends that are avid waterfowl hunters who swear by the stuff.  Having shot it myself, I could see no difference than my standard steel for ducks (if anything I have a preference for and more confidence with standard steel)...  Having opened up some #3 loads, some of that slag is tiny (probably size #12 or so)...  That did not give me any added confidence.

I will add that I think there could be a bit more benifit with geese though....

Now, how is that for not answering a question? :smiley-char092: