turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If not the NWTF, then who?

Started by Garrett Trentham, March 21, 2014, 09:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

I've been reading and hearing a lot of complaints about the NWTF lately. A lot of passionate turkey hunters and conservationist that have been involved with the NWTF have been thoroughly turned off by the organization as of late. Full disclosure, I have never been a member of the NWTF. Although I am a turkey hunter and have a large vested interest in the well being of the wild turkey, the federations actions over the years, and multiple stories of those involved with the federation have kept me away from a membership. For instance, it worries me when an they are denying habitat improvement and hunter recruitment projects, but are building the largest shooting complex in the Southeast behind their headquarters. I understand that the NWTF has done and continues to do good things for the wild turkey, but as a whole it seems like they are making some terrible decisions, primarily by alienating their volunteers.

Before I delve into this further I would like to reiterate something. As turkey hunters, we and we alone are responsible for the well being and health of the wild turkey population in North America. It's not the job of the government, landowners, or even the NWTF. It's our job. Period, end of story. It been brought to our attention that, in spite of a hugely successful restocking program thanks to state wildlife agencies and private supporters, turkey populations across the Southeastern US are dwindling. We don't know why this is happening or how to fix it (we don't even know how bad the decrease really is). What we do know is that something needs to be done about this and it's on our shoulders to make it happen. We need management, organization, and funds. If the NWTF won't provide it then who will?

It can be done. There are organizations in place that have proven that this can be done. I have done volunteer work for non-profit NGOs since I was old enough to help out. I am currently serving on a Delta Waterfowl committee here in Raleigh, NC and will be working as a research tech for them over the summer. Although each organization has its flaws, they have all done and continue to do a lot of good for game species here in North America. Our turkey population needs this type of help as well.

I don't have the answer for how to fix this, but as a group we need to figure something out.
We need to make something happen.

Are we better of starting a building a new NGO from the ground up?
Or does the NWTF have a good structure that just needs new people in charge?

Are the negatives we are hearing about the NWTF being blown out of proportion?

What are your thoughts?

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

mudhen

As I have said in other posts, I have yet to read or hear any comment that convinces me that the NWTF is harming turkeys in any manner.

Nothing in your post even remotely changes my opinion.

It's $35 bucks, with $25 back from Bass Pro.  I can afford $10 a year for an organization that appears to be portraying hunting and shooting in a positive light.

My real thoughts?

That's easy.

Hunters are their own worst enemy.

Many, but not all, are a generally greedy & jealous lot.  Secretive.  Manipulative.  Discouraging.  Negative.

I love the quote in Field & Stream from "The Yankee Killer, "I avoid walking muddy trails, and I pick up every turkey feather I see.  Why tip someone else that there are turkeys in the area?"  :)

God forbid someone shoots one of 'his' birds....

But, of course, this is just my take, yrmv....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Garrett Trentham

Not sure where you're coming from here mudhen, but I'm sensing quite a bit of apathy. Do you not fell that the wild turkey needs an organization to provide long-term support?

Quote from: mudhen on March 21, 2014, 10:17:11 PM
As I have said in other posts, I have yet to read or hear any comment that convinces me that the NWTF is harming turkeys in any manner.

Can't say that I disagree with the statement, but I'm at a loss as to what your logic is here.
So if you aren't a part of the disease, you are by default a part of the cure?

It's $35 bucks, with $25 back from Bass Pro.  I can afford $10 a year for an organization that appears to be portraying hunting and shooting in a positive light.

If the NWTF is going to be a facade that portrays hunting and shooting in a positive light then that's fine, and if you wan't to pay $10 to keep that facade up then that's fine too. But the problem still stands that the turkey population desperately needs research, habitat improvement, and hunter recruitment. If the NWTF won't provide these who will?

Hunters are their own worst enemy.

Many, but not all, are a generally greedy & jealous lot.  Secretive.  Manipulative.  Discouraging.  Negative.

I couldn't disagree more and I'll leave it at that.

I love the quote in Field & Stream from "The Yankee Killer, "I avoid walking muddy trails, and I pick up every turkey feather I see.  Why tip someone else that there are turkeys in the area?"  :)

God forbid someone shoots one of 'his' birds....

What does this have to do with the topic at hand?
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

woodsman1977

It has gone completely corporate....it wasn't like that when Rob Keck was CEO but he was pretty much forced out and since then they haven't gotten a nickle from me.

Its not the $$$ its the principle. I'll take that money (no matter how big or little) and apply it to my own land in some way. We had the worst winter in almost 30 years here in MI and I can only wonder how many turkeys I saved with supplemental feeding......with no help (offered or wanted).

Gooserbat

The problem with the NWTF is not what they do, but what the don't.  They do raise a lot of money for the Turkeys and the turkey hunting issues and resources in South Carolina.  They just don't share with the other 49 states.  They remember every turkey hunter they have ever heard of when it's time to renew a membership or drop a Franklin at a banquet but the forget the other 364 days through out the year.  They're not bad and their mission was actually great but it's like a lot of other thing and has become misguided.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

What does an organization do when their primary mission is completed?
Their mission was to promote restoration of the wild turkey to all areas that it had historically occupied and that would support the turkey.
That's pretty much done.  They could promote more habitat, which they do to some degree, or go toward the Wheeling Sportsmen or promote hunting sports to youth.
They seem to be trying a bit at all of it, doing very well at none of it right now.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

barry

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 22, 2014, 11:11:09 AM

They start hoarding money!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: barry on March 22, 2014, 03:29:28 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 22, 2014, 11:11:09 AM

They start hoarding money!

and wasting money
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

silvestris

Perhaps the question is one that should have been asked in 1973.

What, exactly, can a national organization do for a non-migratory species?  In my humble opinion, not much.  The turkey has a pretty small range and whether it thrives or not is primarily a local habitat matter.  It hit me like a bomb that my favorite hunting area had changed over the last thirty years.  In effect, it had matured to the point that it lacked sufficient nesting cover and the elements necessary for poult survival.  Fortunately, the state, that's right, the state has started a select timber management program which will hopefully provide the diversity necessary for year round turkey habitat.  The tree huggers are raising hell about it, but the cutting has begun.  What is beautiful to the eye is not always in the best interest of the turkey.

You may have a different situation in your favorite piece of heaven, like excessive clear cutting, for example.  I could support an organization that raised a lot of money and gave it to the various states earmarked for research.  I have no interest in giving my money to what is in effect, a social club that wants to take credit for every turkey killed in this country.  They make me want to barf.

The states were doing a marvelous job of trapping and transplanting Wild Turkeys before the NWTF was even a figment of someone's imagination.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

memert116

You all make a lot of interesting points.  However, as someone who has done a lot of turkey hunting but has only been a member of the NWTF and only gone to one banquet and one convention in Nashville I am ignorant of the complaints/history of the NWTF.  It does make for very good conversation, point and counter points. 

I guess I have the same question as the original poster; if not the NWTF, then who?  Is there a group of folks out there with a viable alternative?  Can we not work from the inside to make the NWTF a better organization? 

Just my two cent.