turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF renegs on their statement

Started by barry, March 21, 2014, 06:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Our local NWTF chapter recently shut down. As the president I repeatedly asked for help from staff members on both the state and national level to no avail.

I have been with another local non-profit outdoor group since 1999 and we decided that we wanted to continue the Wheelin' Sportsmen spring turkey hunt that I started 8 years ago with the NWTF Chapter.

The following info was obtained from the National Wheelin'Sportsmen website
"Can other organizations partner with Wheelin' Sportsmen to host an event?
Yes. The NWTF encourages all organizations and businesses to sponsor and host events across the nation."

"Who can host a Wheelin' Sportsmen event?
Anyone! The first step is to call the NWTF.  All events must be affiliated with an NWTF chapter for insurance purposes so we will connect you with the closest chapter to your area."

We followed the guidelines listed on the website and yet we are being denied the opportunity to host a hunt. I devoted 17 years to the NWTF, serving as chapter president, coordinating a half dozen banquets, 8 Wheelin' hunts and 12 youth events.  After all that it was insinuated that I am to blame for closing our chapter and starting a new organization all of which is Bull $#&%!

The NWTF not sponsoring our hunt is not hurting us but it IS hurting the hunters that could have participated in this hunt. Thanks for nothing NWTF!

Flydown

Sorry to hear that Barry but It really don't surprise me one bit!  :-X

tomstopper

Quote from: Flydown on March 21, 2014, 06:26:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Barry but It really don't surprise me one bit!  :-X
:agreed:

Hognutz

Looks like Guesswho had it right, all along..

That's just not right, Barry..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

30_06

So they are not allowing your outdoor group to be affiliated with the closest NWTF chapter?

It shouldn't surprise anyone,it's all about money.

GobbleNut

Sorry to hear about this, Barry.  Something similar happened here in New Mexico and resulted in many dedicated volunteers state-wide quitting,...people that were the backbone of the NWTF here for over thirty years.  Although I witnessed the NWTF do much good over that time, the organization has definitely lost its way.  It really is a shame to see what has happened. 

Like me, I know you were one of the ones here that defended the NWTF from the critics for a long time.  Until NWTF finds its way back to being an organization that realizes its success is based on its volunteers and treats them with the respect they deserve, I will no longer be able to do that.  They have become blinded by the dollar bill. 

HARDCORE

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 21, 2014, 07:14:17 PM
Until NWTF finds its way back to being an organization that realizes its success is based on its volunteers and treats them with the respect they deserve, I will no longer be able to do that.  They have become blinded by the dollar bill.

Well said Jim, for once I agree with you.  :laugh:

HC

Old Gobbler

There is only one place in the world you can see a true Osceola Wild Turkey ....... With dwindling habitat ' and nightmare land management being imposed on several large tracts of public and private property south of Orlando -- you have no idea how serious the problem could be with Osceolas - The money placed into improving the situation is a pittance - there should be vast quantities of money and political pressure thrown around , yet ..... Next to nothing is done , and let me tell you some very ( past ) state Nwtf board members have been standing up on tables and jumping up and down trying to get something done ---  next to nothing has been done - finally folks got tired and quit -  call up the federation and ask them , beg them for hep and you probably won't get any real help , call them up and ask them if you can leave them in your final will as a beneficiary for a large sum , and my guess is the phone won't stop ringing off the hook

For the record only about 700 turkeys are harvested in Florida on public wmas - half are hybrids "... Most of the non state owned property is developed into housing or agriculture -- the Osceola is living on borrowed time folks -- the harvest figures for the state of Florida ( private ) are a concocted lie ! A complete fabrication with absolutely no scientific data to back it up -

---I just outlined a critical wild turkey situation ,  it was the same 10 years ago , and 10 years from now the situation in Florida will be even more desperate - people tell me when you go to the stake holder meetings for the management districts there is zero , zero Nwtf presence , at least at the southern ones .......I'm not counting on the cavalry to save the day down here

S.O.S. From Florida ........

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

bigbird

Scary stuff here folks! Where is all of our money going? I love being a member and having an organization to go with our sport, but it sounds like a big joke to me! Like the NRA!

woodsman1977

Quote from: bigbird on March 21, 2014, 09:49:47 PM
Scary stuff here folks! Where is all of our money going? I love being a member and having an organization to go with our sport, but it sounds like a big joke to me! Like the NRA!

Money is making the fat wallets of the board members fatter.....Best idea is to put your money toward your own land management. THW the NWTF

Flydown

My money is going towards turkey hunting and habitat for the wild turkey. I'm just not mailing it to the N-WTF for a crappy magazine and a sticker.

ChiefBubba

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 21, 2014, 09:33:19 PM
There is only one place in the world you can see a true Osceola Wild Turkey ....... With dwindling habitat ' and nightmare land management being imposed on several large tracts of public and private property south of Orlando -- you have no idea how serious the problem could be with Osceolas - The money placed into improving the situation is a pittance - there should be vast quantities of money and political pressure thrown around , yet ..... Next to nothing is done , and let me tell you some very ( past ) state Nwtf board members have been standing up on tables and jumping up and down trying to get something done ---  next to nothing has been done - finally folks got tired and quit -  call up the federation and ask them , beg them for hep and you probably won't get any real help , call them up and ask them if you can leave them in your final will as a beneficiary for a large sum , and my guess is the phone won't stop ringing off the hook

For the record only about 700 turkeys are harvested in Florida on public wmas - half are hybrids "... Most of the non state owned property is developed into housing or agriculture -- the Osceola is living on borrowed time folks -- the harvest figures for the state of Florida ( private ) are a concocted lie ! A complete fabrication with absolutely no scientific data to back it up -

---I just outlined a critical wild turkey situation ,  it was the same 10 years ago , and 10 years from now the situation in Florida will be even more desperate - people tell me when you go to the stake holder meetings for the management districts there is zero , zero Nwtf presence , at least at the southern ones .......I'm not counting on the cavalry to save the day down here

S.O.S. From Florida ........

Absolutely right. Some wise words there. Shannon sometime after season when you get time we need to talk some. Would like to discuss some of these meetings down here. Chief

DirtNap647

Quote from: Flydown on March 21, 2014, 10:58:42 PM
My money is going towards turkey hunting and habitat for the wild turkey. I'm just not mailing it to the N-WTF for a crappy magazine and a sticker.
x2

ridgerunner

I was involved with the NWTF on the committee of my local Chapter here in Indiana for many years. I finally gave up a few years ago. We'd have $ 30,000 dollar banquets and the local chapter  would get 1% of the net net of all that money..we'd end up with less than $1000.00 for our local chapter after all the work on these banquets. We couldn't even afford to host a Jake's event each year after putting on $30,000 banquets.

The Auction merchandise all started coming from China a few years back. Years ago the paintings we sold at auction were top quality oil paintings on real canvas, nice paintings...recently they are cheap reproductions on cheap paper with a plastic wood looking frame...Chinese crap. I seen a big change about 5 years ago.. It's obvious to me they're all about money. I've lost faith in the NWTF it's not the same Organization it was 10 years ago.