OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice fast

Started by HogBiologist, March 21, 2014, 11:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I have an 835 with a full choke. Tried the 3.5" fed #6 2.25 oz with FCW. Get better patterns out of my 870 3" 1.625 oz HW #7. I am thinking about a picking up a jelly head for the 835 on my way through magnolia and trying that. I could pick up a Nitro or two while there. They have them for $8 a shell. Would you shoot the 870 this weekend or buy a Nitro and a jelly head (getting choke anyway) to shoot this weekend. They have a rhino but the wife vetoed that idea.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

CrustyRusty

Use the 870 and don't rush a purchase. Good luck

SCDieselDawg

I wouldn't rush it. I'd suggest trying some Hevi 6s through the JellyHead before coughing up the cash for Nitros!

Vabirddog

Agree !00% with the above! Don't rush it. 

I'd shoot the 870 all the time but i'm partial:)

appalachianstruttstopper

Might want to try a shell without fcw. I personally have had bad luck with getting the fcw to shoot good in an overbored barrel like the 835. They have shot pretty good out of everything else I have, just not the 855/935.

Winchester supreme 3.5 2.25 #6 if you can find them. They have been the best lead with 835 for me.

Skeeterbait

Know what your pattern is doing before ever hunting with it.  Use the 870 till you have found a load and choke that works for the 835.  I recommend forgetting FCW in the 835, they were horrible for me too.  Hevi 6 or 7 or for lead Longbeard 6.  They will work with the Jelly Head.  If you are wanting super tight patterns, find an Indian Creek .675 with wad catchers.

tnturkey

870 but go ahead and buy the jelly head they shoot lights out in my 835

surehuntsalot

I have a factory full (.710) that loves the FC shells for my 835
it's not the harvest,it's the chase