OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Birds, birds and more birds.

Started by allaboutshooting, March 20, 2014, 06:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I have never seen so many turkeys on our land here in Southern Illinois. I was very concerned about all wildlife with the terrible winter that we had. We had below freezing temps for a couple of months and ice covered almost everything. At one time we had over 4" of ice for at least a month.

Lately, I've been seeing gobblers on our place. When we came home the other night there were 4 nice gobblers and we saw them again yesterday. Our neighbors have seen a nice flock of birds for months, several hens, jakes and at least one large gobbler.

Today, I slipped down to the edge of our woods, just beyond my shooting range, and saw at least 6 gobblers. They seemed pretty unconcerned about my presence and just went about feeding and talking to each other.

This is a little unusual for birds this time of year. Normally they are 'busted up" and gobblers are very solitary. No complaints, just unusual in this part of the world.

Are you seeing this kind of behavior?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Dtrkyman

Good to hear, been worried about the bids up North, Jo Davies county where I hunt was under some heavy snow cover for months and frigid temps. Starting to get a couple reports from locals and it seems plenty have made it through!   

VA_Birdhunter

Awesome!!! Glad to hear they made it through ok!!  I've been concerned myself but my spot in VA is looking good so far. 

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

DirtNap647

turkey_slayer

Yep. Birds are still in there fall flocks. It was like this last year. Normally by this time you see toms with a few hens and a few longbeards running together. Still seeing 30+ in flocks

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Gamblinman

Just returned from South Texas. Gobblers were still running together in packs. Had 11 gobblers come in Saturday afternoon.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Pressured Gobbler

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 20, 2014, 06:57:50 PM

Today, I slipped down to the edge of our woods, just beyond my shooting range, and saw at least 6 gobblers. They seemed pretty unconcerned about my presence and just went about feeding and talking to each other.

This usually happen on private property... No pressure... No pressured gobbler... Hence the box full of beards and spurs...

allaboutshooting

There should be no one hunting our woods but you just never know. I've had people slip in the west side. I just hope these birds stick around for a while.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Vabirddog

They are still solidly in winter flocks around here. 7" of snow last monday and possibly more next tuesday. Stubborn winter.

Shellwaster

our birds in central GA are locked up with hens. Our season starts tomorrow so hopefully it will be a successful opener.

IowaGobblers

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 20, 2014, 07:20:36 PM
Good to hear, been worried about the bids up North, Jo Davies county where I hunt was under some heavy snow cover for months   

I'm with you, finally got rid of most of the snow way up north here in Dubuque County, and finally caught a glimpse of a good size flock. But unfortunately our season doesn't start for over 2 weeks.

COssman14

Snow is starting to melt here in Iowa saw over 50 on the land I hunt last weekend doesn't seem like they have split up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

Flydown

This was Monday in west central Alabama.

Gobble!

Every year during a bad winter our farm normally has large amounts of turkeys that stay in large groups to late March. We have cattle and feed the cattle corn which passes through them and the turkeys follow behind to get any pieces they can. When theres nothing else available the turkeys resort to straching through crap for corn.