OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

South Dakota Bound

Started by bbcoach, March 19, 2014, 09:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Looks as if our South Dakota Merriam hunt is on for the 7th-11th of May.  We'll be hunting the Pine Ridge Reservation of the Oglala Sioux Indians.  With our trip to Kansas last spring for our Rio, we're hoping to finish our Grand Slams in some rough but beautiful country, if the birds cooperate.  Anybody been to the Badlands and what should we expect from Merriams?  The dates will be the last few days of their season.

Bigspurs68

My daughter killed a couple nice birds near Chadron Nebraska. As she was admiring her 2nd bird there, she looked at me and said "they sure don't act like our easterns". We left Chadron and went up into the Black Hills where I hunted one morning and found one that cooperated. I'm not saying they are easy birds but if you successfully kill Easterns, you will do just fine. Enjoy and be safe.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Beard Collecter

That's cool. I will be hunting Pine Ridge April 27- April 30, then on to Black Hills. Can not Wait!! :z-guntootsmiley:

Bigspurs68

Feel free to pm me if you would like any info. We weren't there long but any info could help.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

theghost_03

I hunted the Pine Ridge two years ago.  I cant remember the exact location but we were about 20 minutes away from Kadoka.  Got my two birds.  I have to say that there was a drastic difference in hunting the Res. birds in comparison to the Black Hills Merriams for some reason.  The birds on the Res. were very responsive and vocal, I have had issues with Black Hills birds.  You can't beat  hunting the badlands or the hills.  You will have a great time! 
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS