turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not deep cleaning? Think again...

Started by mossyoakpro, March 19, 2014, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

I decided to take the advice of Clark and deep clean my brand new right out of the box 870....this is what came out on the first pass with a dry patch.

Makes me wonder what one is gonna look like after years of shooting and only bore snaking.

Sent from my waiting on March 15 device.

Phillippians 4:13

allaboutshooting

Great job.

Over the last decade or so, many folks have sent me pictures of stuff that's come out of what they thought were clean barrels.

The article that appeared in the 2014 Turkey Hunters Equipment Guide has produced a whole new set of pictures.

Unburned powder, melted plastic, and the oil/grease that is put in new barrels by the manufacturer can lead to some serious gunk in the bore and when new guns, like yours, are shot without a serious cleaning, it gets burned in and even nastier.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BigStrutter

Same here....mine looked exactly like that right out of the box. I only use a bore snake when I clean my guns that's been in the safe a while and haven't shot or between shots when patterning.
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

mikejd

You are 100% correct. After my first deep clean(per Clarks advice) I upped my pattern by darn near 35-40%.

COssman14

Don't they shoot the guns at factory's before they get shipped out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

SCDieselDawg

It's amazing at the amount of junk that comes out of a brand new barrel.

outdoors

DOES ANYBODY USE A DRILL WHEN THEY DO THIS OR BY HAND ?
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

SgtUSMC

Tom Foolery

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mossyoakpro

I did just as Clark had on his website.....I was very surprised at the stuff that came out of a seemingly "Clean" barrel.  I have yet to shoot it for patterning but I am sure it will make a difference.

I am gathering up a bunch of choke tubes before I start that process.

Thanks for the great information Clark!!  I am a believer now!!

L.F. Cox

Quote from: mossyoakpro on March 19, 2014, 05:35:59 PM
I decided to take the advice of Clark and deep clean my brand new right out of the box 870....this is what came out on the first pass with a dry patch.

Makes me wonder what one is gonna look like after years of shooting and only bore snaking.

Nothing unusual that's why most owners manuals tell you to clean the barrel on a new gun before you shoot it.

Byhalia

~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

mossyoakpro

Quote from: L.F. Cox on March 23, 2014, 02:49:31 PM
Quote from: mossyoakpro on March 19, 2014, 05:35:59 PM

Nothing unusual that's why most owners manuals tell you to clean the barrel on a new gun before you shoot it.

I should have looked on your website to get more helpful information I suppose.  :you_rock:

olejake

Mine was so dirty that I almost took it back to the dealer claiming that they had sold me a used gun...lol...granted, I had patterned it and had shot it 10 times, but it was incredible at the "mud" that came out of it...thanks again,Clark..believe I am gonna deep clean it now after every succesful hunting trip..Hoppe's #9 by the quart is the way to go...lol