OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Research Recommendation?

Started by Kilchis, March 17, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilchis

Even after a few years of mucking around, I remain a greenhorn turkey hunter. I want to learn as much as I can regarding the birds and how they utilize their habitat.  I hunt Oregon's high steppe country, a semi-arid semi-desert of rolling hills and plateaus that are partially covered with scab rock, partially covered with sage, rabbitbrush and Western Juniper; interspersed with denser juniper and pine growth in the narrow draws and canyon bottoms.  Waterholes are scattered around the area, sometimes miles apart.

I live about 150 miles away, which sorely limits extended observational opportunities.   

Can anyone recommend some resource books?  I'd like to learn odds and ends, like nesting habits, whether the spring birds gain sufficient water from their forage and dew or need to come to water periodically, whether they will water at creeks or perfer still water, food preferences, whether they prefer to hang out in more open sagebrush flats where they may become prey for Golden eagles, hawks and coyotes, or prefer heavier cover where they need to worry about coyotes, cougars and bobcats.  I'm not looking for "Go Here, Do This" articles, I'd rather puzzle some of it out myself but I could use a jumpstart on what the puzzle picture might look like.   

Thanks for any suggestions you might offer.

Skeeterbait

Illumination in the Flatwoods by Joe Hutto is an excellent book but it is based on observations in a totally different environment than yours.  Hopefully some western hunters will chime in with some ideas.

trackerbucky

I'd try your Fish & Wildlife Dept. and your state university if it has a wildlife department. I bet phone calls to those places would connect you with some people who would be glad to point you in the right direction.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

Tail Feathers

You got some good advice here.
But, study Google Earth of the area.
Birds want water every day, and like to roost near or over it.
They need trees for roosting.
They need suitable nesting habitat.  They love high grass or maybe some thigh high sage or some native grassy land in the area? 
( Not familiar with that habitat.)
Find an area with all of these in fairly close proximity and start scouting there.
If you can be there when they wake up, you'll be ahead of the game by locating the gobbling.
Knowing where they roost is a big step in the right direction.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Kilchis

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.  Much appreciated!