OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting a jake looked down upon?

Started by JuniorPre 360, March 17, 2014, 02:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I'd rather see a picture of a man and a Jake that he hunted hard for, than a man with a longbeard he paid other people to do the leg work so he could show up and pull the trigger.  Good luck to you. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bmhern

Its your hunt, your trophy if you want to shoot a Jake go for it don't worry about  what others say, I don't know many turkey hunters that haven't killed one at some time. Best of luck!!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: guesswho on March 17, 2014, 06:38:37 PM
I'd rather see a picture of a man and a Jake that he hunted hard for, than a man with a longbeard he paid other people to do the leg work so he could show up and pull the trigger.  Good luck to you. 

Guesswho, here's that picture.  We hunted these birds *HARD* almost the *entire* season, and finally got a kill shot on 'em.  I was one happy hunter to have taken this bird; I guarantee you that.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Heller

I dont frown on taking a jake.  I let em pass but that don't me you have to

THattaway

Quote from: JuniorPre 360 on March 17, 2014, 02:26:06 PM
I've been doing a little asking around from some people scouting areas for turkeys and I guess they're seeing a lot of jakes and just a few big toms. I'm wondering if I'll catch HE11 if I were to post a picture of my first bird being a jake or if I should pass them all up if the opportune moment comes this season.
You won't catch heck from me. I killed my share. One thing I will say though, letting a jake, or group of jakes, walk is some of the easiest scouting for the next season you will ever do.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

L.F. Cox

Or a turkey shot out of one of them out'e house blinds over a flock of dA'oys

mudhen

I don't care what someone pays for a hunt.

We all pay something.

I see lots of $50,000 trucks parked in public ground parking lots.

Shoot whatever you want, rich or poor, smart or dumb, why does it matter so much to some?

I have yet to see a post from a rich guy saying po' folks don't know how to hunt  :)

Some of my best birds have been jakes, more have been toms though...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

chatterbox

This.^^^^^^^
My first bird was a jake, and was as exciting of a hunt as I have ever been on.
My buddies first bird he killed was a jake, and this bird acted like a 4 year old gobbler, he was so wary. He came in from over 100 yards away through a field, saw the decoy, skirted into the woods and started hammering and we finally coaxed him into the field where my buddy made an awesome shot.
I personally give them a free pass, but will NEVER judge another man for shooting them as long as they are legal.
As a good friend of mine has said,"there is no shame in this game." All that matters is that YOU are happy, and had a great hunt.

lonnie sneed jr.

Kill what you want whenever you can. I will never trash someone for killing a jake, its your tag use it however you want.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

tomstopper

I agree with everyone else. Shoot whatever you want as long as its legal. I have been at this for a long time and have shot plenty of nice gobblers but just 2 yrs ago I shot a jake on the last week of the season. Here was a situation where I was on public land that gets hunted hard and I worked my tail off to get that bird. The trophy for me is not all about the size of the bird but instead the excitement/experience of the hunt. Good luck this season.......

slamman

I went after a single season Royal Slam in 2011 and I'm not making excuses for myself but I had three days to hunt the Rio and as things turned out one day to hunt the eastern both ended up being jakes I was beginning to think my Royal Slam would be all jakes well the other three were very nice mature toms.  Even though i took two jakes I was proud of my accomplishment and had all the birds mounted.

cphill

Its about the hunt and thrill to me not the beard ....I have kill my share of Jakes most late season after a hard season of hened up longbeards and i was a happy man to call up a big oh Jake and shoot him and good chance it will happen again

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

kevin2

Last year was my first season & I hunted hard, really hard, but didn't land a Turkey FOR a few reasons. So, I will have a hard time passing on a Turkey of any size this year. Would I prefer a Big old Gobbler? Yes. But, I'd almost as happy with a Jake.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

MDSTRUTNRUT

Some are blessed with flocks of longbeards on their hunting grounds and wont shoot a 2 year olds cause there are limbhangers roosted on every tree branch.    Others will starve, not really but you know what I mean waiting to take longbeards on regular bases.    Kill what makes YOU HAPPY, NOT WHAT MAKES OTHERS HAPPY!

Rio Fan

For your first bird, I'd say any turkey is a great accomplishment no matter if he's sporting a big old rope or a tiny nub for a beard.  It's probably been about 10 years since I've shot a jake, but I'm certainly not going to think less of someone if they shoot one. Enjoy your time in the turkey woods and have a great season!