OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opening day Alabama........textbook hunt

Started by AL trout bum, March 17, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL trout bum

I went south for the weekend to hunt with one of my best friends that I've been trying to get into turkey hunting. We deer hunt at his place every year, and it's covered up with turkeys. They plant chufa, and do burns on schedule, it's just really well maintained and managed land. I finally convinced him to give it a go this year. The birds were roosted right where I thought they would be. I heard lots of gobbling around us. Some were behind, and some in front. I didn't call at all until I heard the hen do her fly down cackle. I heard a bird coming in from behind us, and told my buddy to be very still. He looped around and came back in front of us. I called several times and he answered each time, so I just shut up and waited. To preface, this could have been my second bird ever, and was the first one I've called in. I really wanted to shoot him, but my buddy has never killed one. I finally saw that white head bobbing and I told him to be very still. I had a shot, but he didn't. I told him to just sit tight and be patient. So we watched him strut, spit and drum for 20 minutes until he could get a shot. He asked me multiple times, "Can I shoot now?" I kept telling him to wait. I thought about just shooting it myself constantly, but I resisted. Finally he got a chance to move and he made it count. I don't think I even finished saying "shoot him" before I heard BOOM! I ran over and put my boot on its head. I think I have created another addict! He said, "that was easy." I tried to explain that it usually does happen like that, but I'm glad he got to experience gobbling, hen cackling, and strutting. I took me several years to experience all of that. I tried to get on a bird for myself the rest of the weekend, but it wasn't happening. Still got to play the game and was part of his first bird. I hope that gave me some good karma for myself!

Fresh wild turkey breast and gadwall poppers! While we were grilling it, I kept telling him, that bird was walking in your woods yesterday. Doesn't get much fresher than that. He's hooked!

The only thing I learned this past weekend is that I suck at hunting afternoon birds. No wonder I usually don't try it. I had no idea where they might be, or how to handle totally silent birds. Experience is the best teacher though!
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

longbeard11

Way to go! That is what turkey hunting is all about right there, sharing it with a good friend and taking someone to get their first bird! Passing the tradition on.

I had the same type of thing happen to me last year. Took a buddy of mine and had the most amazing hunt I have ever had in my life! Had a gobbler come in textbook on film and I could have shot him multiple times and finally my buddy got his chance and made the best of it.  I created a monster in him cause he is most definitely hooked after that hunt.  Shoot, anyone would be hooked if they experienced a hunt like we did that day your first time out, just doesnt happen like that too often, but Im glad it did that day.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alloutdoors

Congrats! Says a lot that you made such an effort to let your buddy get the shot when you are so new to it yourself.

cuppednlocked

Congratulations!

"Sometimes" calling one in is better than pulling the trigger... anyone can pull a trigger.

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

DirtNap647

congrats great hunt that's what its all about right there  :icon_thumright:

captin_hook

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

JVA54

Bamastrutter

Congrats to you and your buddy. At least you know you will get invited back since you didn't shoot the bird out from under him lol. Great hunt and story good luck to y'all the rest of the season.

tomstopper

slamman