turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thugs VS longbeards

Started by Red Huck, March 16, 2014, 02:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Huck

Last year thugs where the rage. This year it looks to be longbeards, Anyone compared them on the range yet.

mr perfect

are you talking about the new X R shells ?

d.winsor

I just patterned the long beards #5 shot in my gun and the pattern is so tight at 40 yards I won't hunt with them, if I am a little off one way or the other with aiming I will miss a turkey.  I will use winchester supreme HV #5's.  If thugs shoot anywhere near long beards anyone that likes a tight pattern will like LB and Thugs.

Red Huck

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mr perfect on March 16, 2014, 10:08:42 PM
are you talking about the new X R shells ?

What other shell with the name "Longbeard" on the box could he be talking about????
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

owlhoot

I have had no luck with the thugs in a 870 Sm 26"
.660 carltons 3" thug 5's  at 81 in the 10".
Remington straight rifled 3"thug 5's  at 81 in the 10".
Hevi-tube thug 5's at 93 in the 10".
Hevi-tube thug 6's at 111 in the 10".

.660 carltons 3" 5's Lbeards at 139 in the 10".

Hevi-tube Lbeard 3" 5's at 140-174 in the 10".
Hevi-tube Lbeard 3" 6's at 189 in the 10".
40 yards lazered from the muzzle.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Carlson, not Carlton.

Based on all of your numbers, a barrel deep cleaning and bore polish would make you smile.

owlhoot

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 21, 2014, 04:45:50 PM
Carlson, not Carlton.
ooops
Based on all of your numbers, a barrel deep cleaning and bore polish would make you smile.
been done , deep cleaned that morning, bore snake between shots

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteHevi-tube Lbeard 3" 5's at 140-174 in the 10".
Hevi-tube Lbeard 3" 6's at 189 in the 10".

There's nothing wrong with those numbers.

Tom Foolery

I tried 3.5" Thugs in 5's and 6's from a great shooting 835 and they did not beat the old Winchester HV lead loads.  I tried 3" Thugs in 5's and 6's from my short 870 and they patterned about like a 20 gauge lead load.   I was one of the very few that did not get great results from the Thugs.

owlhoot

Me too, was really disappointed with the thugs.       Seems  they don't  hold a candle to the grand slam.
Well i still have the ventilator .655 to try.   And have not tried the .640  CARLSONS CARLSONS CARLSONS, LOL

Looked at 5 sets of notes and wrote carltons everytime, had about 10 of those chokes. :z-dizzy: :-[

It is going to have to wait , it snowed here (MO) again and on the weekend   :(

Punisher

owlhoot, your numbers with the LB XR 3" #5s are about what I am getting, and other people I have shot with, at a TAPED forty yards.  I am sorry but some of the patterns I see I really have to question if they were at a true forty.  I mean I have several different chokes and constrictions for all my guns and deep clean all of them and still I see some patterns where people are getting 40-50 more shot in the 10" than I average.  I am not saying it can't happen, but I know that every gun I have is not the worst shooting gun out there.  Not calling anybody out, just think some patterns may be stepped 40 instead of a true 40.

owlhoot

IDK, two lazer range finders, a marked conservation dept. range.
Used a tape and rangefinders at the range we built at the old little farm.
As far as the thugs go for now , not impressed. Have used Federal shells alot, these are the worst for me so far that i have used with what i have tried.

I am happy with the Longbeards in the 10" in the hevi-tube.

Mike Honcho

The Thugs are a good load.  The Longbeards are just in a whole different category above the performance of standard lead loads.

In my 37 Turkeyslayer Thugs 3" , 6's did 97 and 102 in 10" at 40.
Win Longbeard FIVES , 3" did 147 and 151. Choke was .670 Pure Gold.

Same day , same choke, same range...barrel cleaned between each shot.

In my Stoeger 3500 3 1/2" Longbeard 6's did 276 in 10" at 40 with Jellyhead , didn't have any 3 1/2" Thugs to compare but I don't think I needed too.

surehuntsalot

thugs have been good in my guns,wasn't all that impressed with the longbeards
it's not the harvest,it's the chase