OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting and fishing store

Started by Turkey fryin, March 14, 2014, 04:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey fryin

My wife and I were talking of opening up a hunting and fishing shop in our area.  The closest retailer is a Walmart and it is an hour away! Was wondering if anyone had any experience in this and any major pointers we should know about getting started.

Dtrkyman

As a former pro shop manager make sure you research the area, it may or may not have enough sportsmen to support it, be prepared to be married to the place to get it off the ground and give up much of your time in the outdoors. In this day of internet stores you will really have to provide outstanding customer service!!!!!

It was very enjoyable working with others that have a passion for the great outdoors, and also rewarding sharing there stories of success that I may have had a little hand in!

Just be prepared, dealing with the public is tough business!   

Turkey Trot

If I were considering it, I'd have to be  sure that I could do both walk-in business and internet catalog business.  Making the right merchandising decisions (deciding what to stock and sell) is part art and science and part trial and error.  If I were getting in, I'd try to offer a lot of boutique products, like locally hand-poured baits, locally built heavy duty spinner baits, hand built rods, and really focus on quality and not being a direct facsimile of a sporting good department at Wally, Dick's, Academy, etc.  I'd consider selling good-better-best (as in 3 best spincast reels on the market, the 3 best spinning reels for under $200, the 3 best of X, etc. rather that a shotgun approach to merchandising), avoid selling crap, and maybe only sell the best of lines (e.g., if selling Zebco, only sell Zebco 33 Platinum and staying away from all the other plastic internals garbage sold by Zebco).

Go study all the best, most successful and long-lived sporting goods stores in your market.  Your profile does not state where you are.  Look up successful places out of state too.

Three places in GA: Hammond's Tackle in the Cumming, GA area; The Dug Out in the Kennesaw, GA area, and Barrow Automotive in Butler, GA.  Those are all mom-n-pop operations that do it right and beat the living snot out of "category killer" box stores.

I'd also strongly recommend learning how to do a market study and survey focus groups.  You need to quiz a bunch of people that do not know you about what the market needs.

I'd also figure out how to merchandise for each weather season and for the sporting activities of that season.  For example, the hunting and fishing that is going on in Sept, in Oct, in Nov, in Dec.  In December, it may be waterfowl hunting and stripers in the lake, and you need to provide what those folks want, and then you need to be concerned about Christmas sales in Nov. and December too, which means higher credit capacity and perhaps more cash to place orders and stock the store during that season.   
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Woodsman4God

Not sure what area you are talking about but to me from businesses I have seen fail you have to be able to service the merchandise that is currently being used, ie bowhunting season you need to be a bowtech, rifle/shotgun seasons a gunsmith etc... For most small businesses if they can only do 1 or the other the fail eventually no matter how good they are. Case in point we had a bow store near us that had an indoor range they were the absolute best around for bows, biggest selection, most knowledgable great customer service but since bowhunting is only a few months out of the year come spring into summer they always suffered and eventually closed their doors. If you cant be versatile the down seasons will probably wipe you out.

30_06

The biggest reason a lot of places fail in our small market area is not because of a lack of good ideas. It is generally a lack of understanding on what it takes to make a business work (especially a new business) and understanding cash flow. Profit margins need to be carefully watched, and as mentioned above, plan on working the hunting/fishing seasons.