turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best counties to hunt in Georgia

Started by turkeyfoot, March 14, 2014, 10:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfoot

I'm seriously looking into joining a club in Ga. for turkey hunting I don't know much about the state and can't find a harvest per county record. Was wondering if any one would make a recommendation of counties for me to be looking into or if anyone knows of a club with good turkey hunting. May sign for deer to but its not a have to mostly just looking for turkey. Also Tenn. would be good if anyone has any tips.     Can PM if don't want to post

Turkey Trot

There are no turkeys in GA and things are getting worse.  The sheer number of varmints and nest predators, the absence of a tagging requirement, the weather, timber harvest spike, the blight, blueballs, crabs, sever year itch, and liberalism are all working against turkeys in GA.

Kentucky is where you want to be.  Or Missouri, which is awesome.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Shellwaster

TT is correct, we hunt buzzards here.

You won't find harvest data on turkeys per county however you can find the harvest data on WMA's that have a quota hunt. It appears each year a WMA goes from general hunt to quota which is great for the turkey population but sucks for those of use who don't get drawn or have enough priority points for a particular WMA.

My turkey hunting adventures have me staying in the piedmont region of the state mostly but have done a little in south west Georgia. I've never hunted the mountain birds and not sure it is a high priority but if I didn't have any flat land to trek across I'd be up in them hills. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions about areas. Oh, if you do join a club for turkey only don't get mad if you find out you're not the only one chasing birds on it. Getting exclusive rights is darn near impossible anymore.

Oconeeguy

Generally speaking, east central Ga. Look at lattest edition of Georgia Outdoor News (GON).  It has WMA results for the state. GON Should have a web site available by subscription. On public land, Get WAY off the road.

turkeyfoot

I'm not really interested in public land That is all I hunt here but have time to scout that is why I'm looking to join a club. Lot of club openings in Ga. each year I just need some info on good counties so can pick the right club also looking to Ala. and Tenn.

Shellwaster

Finding a club that will give you exclusive turkey rights is difficult to do, especially if the property has an abundance of birds.

turkeyfoot

Doesn't have to be exclusive rights I enjoy hunting with good group guys just looking for place that isn't over hunted and in right location of state see lot of clubs with openings hard to know which ones to check out