OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anybody here a dyed-in-the-wool "old schooler"?

Started by jakesdad, March 13, 2014, 04:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Most of us like to try/use the latest and greatest...whether it be guns,ammo,camo,calls,decoys,etc.Just wondering if we have any dyed-in-the-wool old schoolers here.Older(before early 90's) or no camo,fixed choke non camo guns,lead,minimal equipment that you pack every day into the field.Stuff you've used for years and years and dont change just because it works,dont need "new and improved".Seems the older I get the more I lean to this type of hunting.

Post up any pics or comments love to look at em!!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

silvestris

I like a good pattern at 35 yards because it is ethical.  I would love to find some Treklite clothing in a solid dark gray, but they ain't gonna make any.  I have been using, if not the same callers, the same type of callers forever, however, I would use any turkey sounding caller that would help me seal the deal.  I wouldn't touch a decoy for any amount of money.  I don't know what all that makes me.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

the Ward

Sinew strung hickory bow- check.Flint tipped feather fletched arrows-check.Grass blades between thumbs for calling-check. Breachclout-check. yup, old school!....lol!

2eagles

I sit in a blind with A/C and TV.  Back 1/2 has a bunk and potty.  I have 6 decoys on motion stakes and an e-caller.  My ATV is quiet enough to drive all the way to the blind and it has green headlights so the roosted birds don't see me.  I have an extension on my Browning and can shoot 9 lead-free shots.  If I don't have my bird by 11:30 opening morning, the property owner brings one out and ties it to a stake 61 yards from my blind so I kill it DEAD with 7 shot.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: 2eagles on March 13, 2014, 05:50:18 PM
I sit in a blind with A/C and TV.  Back 1/2 has a bunk and potty.  I have 6 decoys on motion stakes and an e-caller.  My ATV is quiet enough to drive all the way to the blind and it has green headlights so the roosted birds don't see me.  I have an extension on my Browning and can shoot 9 lead-free shots.  If I don't have my bird by 11:30 opening morning, the property owner brings one out and ties it to a stake 61 yards from my blind so I kill it DEAD with 7 shot.

Way to stir the pot!
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

Quote from: silvestris on March 13, 2014, 05:17:11 PM
I like a good pattern at 35 yards because it is ethical.  I would love to find some Treklite clothing in a solid dark gray, but they ain't gonna make any.  I have been using, if not the same callers, the same type of callers forever, however, I would use any turkey sounding caller that would help me seal the deal.  I wouldn't touch a decoy for any amount of money.  I don't know what all that makes me.

REI and other camping/hiking outlets sell technical clothing in earthtones that considerably pre-dates Treklite.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

jakesdad

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 13, 2014, 06:17:56 PM
Quote from: 2eagles on March 13, 2014, 05:50:18 PM

Way to stir the pot!

Probably wears a black hoodie with TEAM ME plastered all over it and sounds like a NASCAR driver thankin all his marvelous sponsors on camera everytime he kills a bird;then tells you "this is what its all about" ::) ::)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

jwhunter

I hunt deer with a recurve or long bow I shoot wooden arrows and hunt in a camo or plaid shirt and Cathcart pants!.

NC_10

My father started hunting turkeys in the late 70's to early  80's. He only wore tiger stripe or woodland camo BDU's and a black sweat shirt. With the old white converse tennis to pick up and run to a bird gooblin to half the distance. He still sports the sane attire and has taken a stringer of beards in his day lol 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L.F. Cox

Old school...

I don't use dA'coys....nor do I hunt out of blinds....sometimes I wear a face mask and gloves sometimes I don't. Sometimes I hunt with 130 year old guns....most springs find me toting a SBE with brass beads for sights.

Never worried too much about the in-fashion cami'flage....

I call up and kill numerous gobblers each year standing by a small tree....most people talk "set up". I think in spur of the moments. A lot of times if a gobbler is hot and coming I stand up. I've never crawled up on a turkey...if I make a move on a turkey it's fully erect.

I never try and pattern turkeys nor try and think I know what they're going to do next....heck their brains no bigger than a pecan.

With the exception of diaphragms....I've been using the same calls that I made for years. (box, trumpet and slates). Never like to brag...but I can back up anything I've ever said.

I think of it as Commando Style...rather than Old School.

jakesdad

Would love to see some pics of you and your old guns with some birds there Mr. Cox!!

63beards

If i set out to actually KILL a turkey, I do whatever it takes to get 'er done... ( decoys or whatever), to me, the hunt is way more fun than the kill,  if i kill him, i just gotta go find another bird cuz this one's dead... I'll never hear him gobble again...
71 beards

Vabirddog

I've got a choke tube, a decoy, and a cushion but I never take a bird over 40 yds. I own a blind but rarely use it even for a youngster. No I'm not a call three times and shut up guy.  But I started before there was, mossy oak or realtree, before decoys, before choke tubes and "turkey" vests. It was woodland camo, bandana facemasks and cover those white socks, long barreled guns, sore butts and wet feet. Wasn't much to go by so the gobblers taught us the hard way. It was just as much fun as today with less reward and they didn't start Daylight Savings in the winter so you could start hunting at 5:00 and easily be at work on time!

TuckyBoy

I buy the highest quality everything I can afford. With the utmost intent not to present myself as a d-bag in this post, but I have no problem spending my hard earned money on under armour, avian, b brand shotguns etc. I have a passion for the sport to the point where I will spend the money on what is ARGUABLY the finest gear available. That being said, the guys that took us on our first turkey hunts, to this day, wear the oldest, most faded camo, If they're even wearing camo, have no decoys, old POS shotguns, and the oldest, crustiest box calls you've ever seen. They do not know how, or have any interest in learning how to operate a slate or a diaphram. YET, they both literally have  a whole dresser drawer full of beards. Both the old timers tag out every year. They are truly amazing hunters. Old school because its all they've ever known. Dont get me wrong, my buddies and i kill birds. Still, every year,  me and my best bud are in awe at how easy they make it look with nothing.

Hooter

You're not gonna believe this, but when we started huntin, there were no camo clothes. Just had to wear some kind of brown flannel coat, and some brown pants.
All guns were shiney blued, and pretty stocks.
2 3/4 lead 4s were the medicine.  Calls were simple. No Dekes invented yet.
Totally different now. All camo, not much change in calls.  Ammo has been a huge step. Mostly just the camo for me. Pretty much hunt the same as I did then.