turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

everyones single shot 20ga

Started by turkeyhunter91, March 13, 2014, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

I have noticed a few threads about single barrel 20ga and I thought it would be cool to see what everyone has done with them.
here is mine, it is a rossi with a sumtoy choke, ati stock and a  burris ff3

gobblergls

Baikal MP-18 20 gauge;   Sumtoy, ahoy.
trigger work, forcing cone lengthened, choke installed, and Burris 336 Base all done by William.  Sling and paint by me.

Tail Feathers

My new CVA 20 gauge Compact.  Bone stock except for the Bushnell red dot I put on it.
Shoots the FC 7's pretty well at 35 yards.  I still need to get a sling on it.

?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mightyjoeyoung

TC Encore Prohunter.  Full-camo, 26" pipe, Forend,  TC Maxima-Warne steel base and steel, QD rings, Bushnell Trophy circle-plex 1.5-4 X scope and an Undertaker non-ported (for the moment).  Just picked up two more chokes to try out this spring.  It already does fairly well with the Undertaker non-ported and HW 7's but I know she can do better.  She'll have a polished and re-deep cleaned bbl this spring too.  Oh yeah...got that whole setup for $200 brand new/used!!   :toothy9:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Dtrkyman

All these threads got me thinking, so I went to the safe and sure enough I have an old Iver Johnson single shot 20ga!!!!  Not marked so I am guessing it is 2 3/4 only and I need to see what it is choked, I likely will bust it out and hunt it regardless after a quick pattern session. Are there any 2 3/4 loads of more than 1 oz? Not worried about patterns more than 30 yards for now, I will just get em close!!!

mnbeardbuster

Dtrkyman

Found some of those, going to go out and shoot it with some 1 oz aa 7.5 and see if it shoots straight, if it does I may order those, also going to shoot a 3 inch shell from my browning gold and see if it fits into the chamber of the single shot, I already have some hevi 13 3 inch 7s.

Dtrkyman

Shot the old Iver Johnson again today, checked poi again, straight low a good 6 inches, tried sighting with out seeing the bead and with seeing the whole bead and part of the barrel, all shots low.

Though maybe I would get lucky and the Federal HW 2 3/4 1 1/18 oz 7s would hit higher, no such luck poi exactly the same!

The good news is the guns does throw a really nice even pattern, T 20 yards the whole pay load hit inside 20 inches and ver even and center dense, 30 yard pattern was really nice as well. I know it will hold up to 35 yards but with the way I need to aim with it i do not think I will shoot past 30!!!

Still undecided if I will hunt it, but I may just go for it!!!  I wish it shot high so I could actually see what I am shooting at!!!

mad815

Dtrkyman---   I roughed up the area with a file , cleaned it and used JB Weld to anchor a peep sight on my NEF. This could solve your problem.   It's been 3 years now with no problem of coming off.  Web

Dtrkyman

I am going to try a raised comb, I can put a pad between the stock and an elastic shell holder I already have!!!

FullChoke

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 31, 2014, 08:30:00 PM
I am going to try a raised comb, I can put a pad between the stock and an elastic shell holder I already have!!!
If you are somewhat crafty and want to really customize your gun, you might consider giving this a try. It was not really difficult at all. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,42019.0.html

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

ccaldwell

Thompson Center Encore. Sumtoy Choke with TruGlo magnum gobble dot sights. Shooting Federal HW 7s.

Dtrkyman

fullchoke, I have seen that done before, do not want to alter the gun, I am really only playing around with it as I primarily kill turkeys with a bow anymore and I like the look of the old gun!

I will use the shell holder trick, worked perfect years ago when I had a red dot on my Beretta turkey gun!

Dtrkyman

Tried the raised comb, only brought it up a couple inches, I sighted it looking at the whole barrel like a ramp and it was close, but I am not going to deal with it like that, oh well back to a dust collector I guess.

Too bad because it really throws a pretty nice pattern!