Mojo tail chaser fan with gun mount?

Started by Thomas6689, March 13, 2014, 02:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas6689

What's your opinion on it will it work?

SSCsnood

you must have missed the "scoot and shoot" thread... ;D

Thomas6689

No I saw it but the scoot and shoot decoy is a lot bigger than just the fan they showed them setting behind just the fan but I was wondering if it's big enough to crawl behind , and I don't wanna shoot one at 4 feet lol just wanna get to 40 yards in a field

SSCsnood

it would probably work for that on field turkeys depending on the turkeys and area you hunt. I don't hunt many fields but have before and field turkeys can be a real pain in the butt. knowing how some folks feel about prop lines and gobblers, I'd use extreme caution on private or public land. kinda like one guy said on another thread here "no matter how hard its raining, never use your decoy as a hat!" :funnyturkey:

CASH

There is absolutely no way, on public or private, that I would mount a gobbler fan on my gun directly in front of my face
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Mike Honcho

Cash is right...you never know when a high school kid with a 30-06 is out joyriding and decides to poach him a turkey. 

I hunt in Kansas and there were some hunters from Arkansas hunting in the county where I hunt last year using a taxidermy mount full strut Tom...during one of their morning hunts a pickup pulled up a couple of hundred yards away and shot the decoy with a high powered rifle.  No one was hurt but it could have been a disaster.

Not worth the risk.

L.F. Cox

There's other ways to kill field turkeys....lots of patience and not calling so much as to sound unnatural.

Old Gobbler

I had the manufacturer of a product similar to this register here to this forum about 3 years ago .....he proceeded to market ( spam ) the forum , I did do my good guy routine .... Mentioned over and over the safety risks

He just didn't care ,he was  unrepentant in his ways -- all that mattered is he was selling a product , he thought it worked well , and that was the end of his free account - I threw him straight off the site in short order

I don't know if many people here know this but I'm one family member short because of people that like to shoot " at the sound of a turkey" it's been 22 years now - the other guy got convicted of manslaughter btw ..... I was there as a witness  ..... I'll leave it that for now

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Thomas6689

I wasn't trying to make an argument I just thought it might come in handy in the right situation

captin_hook

Quote from: CASH on March 13, 2014, 08:38:00 PM
There is absolutely no way, on public or private, that I would mount a gobbler fan on my gun directly in front of my face

Couldn't have said it better.

Tommy Strutsalot

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 13, 2014, 09:17:01 PM

I don't know if many people here know this but I'm one family member short because of people that like to shoot " at the sound of a turkey" it's been 22 years now - the other guy got convicted of manslaughter btw ..... I was there as a witness  ..... I'll leave it that for now

Very sorry to learn that.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on March 14, 2014, 07:10:00 AM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 13, 2014, 09:17:01 PM

Very sorry to learn that.

It's not a situation I obsess over , I hardly if ever bring it up -- It took me quite some time before I realized that friends and family hesitated to ever discuss it with me , it was something in the back of my mind that was resolved and never needed discussion - people think it's a no-go subject with me , I just refrain from bringing it up because it has a way of making people uneasy -- however I have mentioned it occasionally on the site when it appeared , several others here on the site have been shot, shot at, have friends or family that have been shot - For about the same reasons as I , I notice they are reluctant to bring it back up - again , I'm okay with it , it just unnerves people and I don't like to do that

You just got to deal with it move on for it , but always have it in the back of your mind -- it can happen again

2 weeks ago .... A guy got shot just a few miles away from , me - a buddy tried to warn the guy-- I can't tell you how many times I've been hunting, even with some people here on the forum , and nearby in the same area , or the adjacent property - somebody got shot -  about 5 years ago I was hunting with Chris and Ronnie ( fly down and Hardcore here ) we actually heard the shot if you can imagine it - a guy and his young son walked up to a turkey hunter and shot him in the head with buckshot - killed him dead -- the victim , lives about 4 miles away from me --

These things happen -- I can tell you the combination of risky behavior will exacerbate the activity to dangerous levels - hunting with idiots ..... Not using common sense , hunting in very crowded areas, and using unsound methods will exponentially increase your odds of getting shot --  running around with a gobbler fan attached to your barrel or crawling around with a gobbler decoy in your left hand..... Dangerous , but you know what what people do in their neck of the woods is their business

Speaking of business , I hope they have a product liability policy  :wave: cause I'll be more than glad to refer a law firm that's very successful in wrongful death lawsuits

Just trying to run my good guy routine , and look out for peoples well being and safety

I'll be out the door in a few hours and gone hunting , like many of us -- good luck and be safe -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

tomstopper

Quote from: CASH on March 13, 2014, 08:38:00 PM
:agreed: Not a smart idea IMO....

Skeeterbait

Yeah I don't want anything about me that looks like or is even colored as a turkey, no blue red or white colors.  Unfortunately many camo patterns have white in them now so no getting away from that.  I don't use decoys at all for safety reasons as much as for inconvenience.  Decoys today are absolutely too lifelike.  Never know when someone will sneak up directly across from your decoys and take a shot in your direction.  I even pack my birds out of the woods in an orange tote bag.  Don't invite disaster.  30 years ago people in the south always described turkey hunting as the most dangerous type of hunting.  Even non-hunters knew this, and there were far fewer hunters back then.  As more and more people get into turkey hunting and it has become more and more commercialized, this bit of information seems to have been forgotten and not communicated well.

Don't think private or hunting club land is a safe haven.  There are poachers everywhere, people miss property lines, clubs get new members nearly every year.

El Pavo Grande

I agree that using a fan is not a safe method of hunting.  Way too many ignorant, high strung folks out there.  My sons are 9 & 6.