OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Making an H&R Turkey gun.

Started by ilbucksndux, March 11, 2014, 02:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

A few years ago I picked up a H&R 3" 12 ga with screw in chokes witht he intention of building a turkey gun. I have a thumbhole stock for it and just never put it together. Im well aware of the recoil these guns have but hope a Limbsaver pad and the stock will help tame that some.Besides after the patterning I only expect to shoot it 3-4 times a year. Anyone have any experience with this ? Did you like it ? Would you do it again ?
Gary Bartlow

mnbeardbuster

I have 4 that I've built up. It's my go to gun.  3 12's and a 20.  My 14 yr old shoots one of the 12's and has been since he was 7.  Last year I sent one of them to Remington to add a 20 ga barrel so I could interchange if I wanted.  I just sent this set to Black Dove Customs to have it Cerakoted at the recommendation of another OG member. 

Is your barrel the plain or vent?  If it's the plain, if you can find a good gunsmith to drill and tap for optics.  Some will say there is not enough metal in the chamber area to do this.  Check with William from Sumtoy (click on his banner), I think he's done some for other members.  Mine have the vent rib and have William Fire Sights.

ilbucksndux

It is a plain barrel. I was thinking about having it tapped but as you said I have heard the 12 ga dont have much metal in the chamber for that. I was thinking about having it parkerized or get a Dip Kit and do it myself. I usually hunt with an 870 but that thing is getting heavy,or Im getting older and the thought of carrying a single shot thru the hills and hollers sounds great .
Gary Bartlow

mnbeardbuster

I posted a pic of mine.  Look up William from Sumtoy.  I personally don't have an past experience with him.  He might be able to tap it and I've read he has great prices. If you call Ricco at Black Dove Customs and mention Scott (aka Agturkey) from OG he's doing special pricing.  For my receiver and 2 barrels in 3 colors and return shipping $200.  He said an H&R receiver and barrel only in one color with shipping $125.  Mailed it yesterday and I should have it back later next week.

I hunt the flat lands of KS and enjoy carrying mine.  Easy to maneuver (43" with choke tube), can shoot left or right handed.  You mentioned recoil.  Do you really notice it when your focusing on a tom.  At the range absolutely.  I wear a shooting pad.

Good luck, hope this helps.

mad815

I own 3 pump action Turkey Guns-- This is my one I use the most.  It's a Partner with a Survivor stock on it . Rattle can spaghetti pattern invented by me.  I also have a 20 ga. tube with screw in choke for it. Interchange in minutes.   It can take a beating and keep on ticking.   Web                                                                                                             

jmasters

I use my H&R more then i use my 835, it has vent rib w/ screw in Indian creek choke and no recoil pad. it likes the win #6 3" and don't feel a think when i blast a swamp chicken. Not a gun to head to the range for a fun day of shooting though :'(   

lowoctane

Had one my brother in law talked me out of. Had open sights installed, cone lengthened and a choke made. Kicked like it wanted my teeth so put a piece of 1" steel in the stock cavity which helped big time without adding a bunch of weight. Wish I had it back. Oh, also had the trigger massaged a little... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

jerf

I just had mine tapped. Gunsmith went whole way through the receiver and put a bushnell trs 25 on it. He used red locktight to make it permanet. Very happy with it.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: mad815 on March 11, 2014, 08:26:03 PM
I own 3 pump action Turkey Guns-- This is my one I use the most.  It's a Partner with a Survivor stock on it . Rattle can spaghetti pattern invented by me.  I also have a 20 ga. tube with screw in choke for it. Interchange in minutes.   It can take a beating and keep on ticking.   Web                                                                                                             

I really like that set up,that is sharp
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mad815

Thanks     Salot ---  Same Gun with the 20 ga. tube on it. 

Web