turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Q: "Factory" 20 Gauge Single Shot Turkey Gun

Started by bamagtrdude, March 11, 2014, 11:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Hey guys, looking for some advice from all the 20g'ers here on the forum...  I took my daughter on her first turkey hunt this past weekend, and I *think* she may have caught the fever a bit!  :)

I've read a lot of the posts on here about 20g guns & all the modifications that have been done (cut down & tapped barrels, replacement stocks, etc.) -- *BUT* my question is simply this:

Is there a "factory" bone-stock 20 gauge single shot gun that would bust one @ 30-35 yds, straight out of the box, without any mods?  That's what I'm really looking to get her - and heck, I might hunt w/it, too.  I see that H&R has a "turkey" model, but I couldn't confirm the choke or if it takes choke tubes.

Pls let me know; again, what I'm wanting to do is get a gun, get some shells, a choke tube (if necessary), pattern & start hunting.  A youth and/or compact model would be cool, but not totally necessary.

Thx guys!
BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

bamagtrdude

Here's what I've found: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-HRSB1F25

Again, not sure what choke this is; would *assume* it would be full, but - don't want to make any assumptions here.  This would be a great option for her.
---

R AJ

Find a used 20 gauge pump that has choke tubes and you really have  a nice set up. 

bamagtrdude

RAJ: I have a friend that just wrote me & said my daughter could borrow his old 870 youth pump 20g; has choke tubes, so ...  We might be setup for the next few years; thx for the reply, tho!

BGD
---

Tail Feathers

I bought this CVA compact Scout 20 gauge at my local Academy Sporting Goods a couple months ago.  I cleaned it, got some Federal Flite Control 7's and a red dot.  Shot this at 35 yards from a dirty barrel after some sighting in with field loads.  Cleaned it and need to do a final tweek on the sight but this is bone stock.
146 in the 10" circle at 35 yards.  Factory xtended turkey choke came with the gun.  They apparently are not easy to find tho?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bamagtrdude

Wow, man, that's awesome!!  Thanks for the heads-up; I'll ask my local Academy (and the ones in up B'ham) if they've got this gun.

Thank you!
---

Tail Feathers

It even had the rail mount on the gun.  No bead, they require a scope or some type optic but I'm very pleased with it out of the box.  And the trigger is good.

bamagtrdude

Yes, this looks *perfect* for what I need; I've never heard of CVA -- ??  Do you have a website I can use to read more about them?

Again, thank you so much for responding; this looks like a perfect gun for my daughter to turkey hunt with!!

BGD
---

bamagtrdude

Wow, searches on the Internet aren't finding many of these; do you mind if I ask you how much you paid for this gun?  I'm looking to spend less than $300 max on a setup for my daughter.  Pls let me know; thx!
---

Tail Feathers

The gun was $229.  Yes, there's virtually nothing on the internet about it.  CVA is well known for black powder guns but do make some centerfire guns as well.
Connecticut Valley Arms.  But their website will have pretty much nothing on this gun.
Someone on here checked and were told they don't make the gun anymore.  Someone else on here checked and was told it's till being made.
I guess you can call CVA.  www.cva.com
It's pretty sweet.  37" from end to end, including factory extended choke.  Chrome lined barrel, rail included, good trigger.  It has some weight to it, just enough to make it shoot well but not too heavy for carrying thru the woods all day.
Good luck.

bamagtrdude

10-4; that's a great price for a gun like this.  I've been looking @ the H&R "turkey" gun and it's $269.99 locally.  I'll get in touch w/CVA & see if I can't find one close to me.

Thx again!
---

gobblergls

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 13, 2014, 10:21:39 AM
Wow, searches on the Internet aren't finding many of these; do you mind if I ask you how much you paid for this gun?  I'm looking to spend less than $300 max on a setup for my daughter.  Pls let me know; thx!

Baikal MP-18, hammerless, single-shot, Youth Model.  Under $150 at Bud's or Cheaperthandirt.com

bamagtrdude

Quote from: gobblergls on March 13, 2014, 03:40:46 PM
Baikal MP-18, hammerless, single-shot, Youth Model.  Under $150 at Bud's or Cheaperthandirt.com

I've seen these; can you get one with a full fixed choke?
---

gobblergls

Yes, I believe they come with a full choke, but I would verify.  The USSG site(the importer) has misinformation about the weight of the gun.  It is listed as 9 lbs.  This is probably a botch from the translated Russian.  Mine weighs 5lbs., 5 oz. without sling or red dot.  Gil

bamagtrdude

Quote from: gobblergls on March 13, 2014, 03:54:02 PM
Yes, I believe they come with a full choke, but I would verify.  The USSG site(the importer) has misinformation about the weight of the gun.  It is listed as 9 lbs.  This is probably a botch from the translated Russian.  Mine weighs 5lbs., 5 oz. without sling or red dot.  Gil

10-4 - so you've got one & have hunted/killed birds with it?  Are you just using a modified fixed choke (like they list online)?
---