only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Apparently Some Still Don't Get It And Want To Just Cash In

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, March 11, 2014, 09:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 13, 2014, 10:48:49 PM
Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 13, 2014, 08:09:05 PM
Craftsman wrenches are not made by Sears.  If a new company wins the next contract bid, will the Craftsman wrenches they produce be fakes?  Just playing devil's advocate here.

Both were labeled, marketed, and sold as Star Dot choke tubes.  So far, no proof has surfaced that there is any difference, other than the knurling vs straight grooves on the exterior.  Someone with the proper tools needs to analyze both types in great detail and prove this out.

Your missing the point I am trying to make.  I'm saying you have a choke that you made yourself.  One of your clients you make these chokes for that they are selling under a different name stops paying you.  Then you stop making chokes for them which you have no choice to do unless you are in fact not all there.  Then they take it upon themself to have another company copy your chokes you made for them and then continue to sell your chokes like nothing bothers them to the least and they could care less if it was your choke tube design or not.  Now you tell me how you would like that?  I guess your client has the right to do so is what some of these folks are trying to say.  You guys that don't get that, I feel for ya. 
what im saying is you are making people with the straight knurled choke feel like they don't have a stardot...they do they already bought it and its workin for them.  every year you bring up the original star dot stuff and care what people on ebay is selling them for. if you care then why search for them.  I think some people wanna sit in the lead chair thinkin you don't have this choke and you cant get one...kinda childish...I have  both star dots and they are both sitting in a choke case...I don't care what choke is in my gun if its the best for that load I shoot it I don't walk around tellin everyone to look at my hard to find  choke I show turkeys to be honest instead of you showing that same pattern every time the choke is brought up why don't you post a video on how well you can call or some turkey kills...lol go hunt turkeys

ILIKEHEVI-13

I see you guys points.  And your probably exactly right.  That's probably why Colonial Arms can't do nothing. 

I, too want to know about these new Colonial Arms chokes that Betty McDonald told me should be pretty much identical to the internals on the old Star Dot chokes.  Myles on here has one but has switched to shooting 20GA only.  I talked to him not long ago about shooting this choke with one of his 300325 Hevi-13 3.5" load so we could learn the truth if this choke was for real.  He told me he is shooting 20GA now so he just doesn't want to go shoot it since he made the switch.  I myself don't want to have to just go buy one to see when I have done that a lot in the past on here.  But guys, the truth is I am getting older and my job don't allow me the time I once had to do so.  So I'm gonna have to pass the buck to someone else. 

Turkey Trot

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 13, 2014, 10:48:49 PMYour missing the point I am trying to make.  I'm saying you have a choke that you made yourself.  One of your clients you make these chokes for that they are selling under a different name stops paying you.  Then you stop making chokes for them which you have no choice to do unless you are in fact not all there.  Then they take it upon themself to have another company copy your chokes you made for them and then continue to sell your chokes like nothing bothers them to the least and they could care less if it was your choke tube design or not.  Now you tell me how you would like that?  I guess your client has the right to do so is what some of these folks are trying to say.  You guys that don't get that, I feel for ya.

I have perused the thread, and I am confused

Who owned/owns the Star Dot name?

Did Colonial have a patent on its choke design?

Did Highland own the Star Dot name, have Colonial make the choke to which it applied its name, drop Colonial as a vendor, and then have someone else make the chokes on a contract and use its name on the subsequent choke?

Did Colonial sue them?  If not, then why?
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

Colonial's website states that Star Dot choke tubes are available and one has to call.

Star Dot is used with a "TM," which ordinarily indicates a common law trade mark rather than a federally registered trademark.  But if Colonial used it first and owns it, there can be infringement and a suit under the Lanham Act even if not federally registered.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

trkehunr93

I have a Preston Pittman Bossbuster on my 835 which I'm told is a close relative of the original Star Dot.  She shoots Hevi 3.5 " 6 & 7's great as well as 3.5" Win HV 5's.  I understand the point about false advertisement, which is criminal, especially when you are claiming it is an item that is trademarked.  On the flip side, if the choke shoots a great pattern and kills turkeys I wouldn't complain.

Mike Honcho

Let me address the Trademark questions: 

The Registered US Trademark for "Star Dot" is dead...canceled May 26 , 2007.   It was filed for on April 6, 1999.

The owner of the mark was Highlander Sports of Alabama.   

The Star Dot Trademark was for the "non-telescopic" firearm sight which employed colored light tubes...NOT THE CHOKE TUBE.  Many of you may remember these were packaged with the Star Dot chokes in a combination pack.   I believe this is why the chokes eventually became known as the "Star Dot".

In my opinion Colonial has the right to use the TM symbol which indicates they intend to register the trademark...many companies do this and never pursue the registration but it does give them some protection.

Respectfully submitted,

Mike Honcho

Turkey Trot

"TM" indicates a claim a of common law trademark, it is not about intent to register federally and no federal registration is required if used.

If one attempts to register for a certain use category knowing that another has priority for the same category, that is one of the factors for a cancellation. 

When I get time, I am going to look at the USPTO file.

appalachianstruttstopper

I bought 2 star-dot chokes from Wal-mart in the late 90's on the same day, 1 for an 835, and the other for a Browning invector. The one for the Invector was straight grooves on the end and the one for the 835 was knurled.

Bought from our local Wal-mart in NC

Both had same packaging, both 20$, and both shoot awesome.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I think I should put my Star Dot on ebay since this one is going for US $127.50 +$4.99 shipping with 12 min left.  I am going to have to think on it at that price. 

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 14, 2014, 08:14:13 PM
Well I think I should put my Star Dot on ebay since this one is going for US $127.50 +$4.99 shipping with 12 min left.  I am going to have to think on it at that price.

I'll go get mine outta my dads 835 and the invector outta the filing cabinet and give them a 2 for 1 deal at that kinda price!

But I never have any luck with selling on  ebay, I need a young model to hold the choke for me so everyone will look at it. lol

ILIKEHEVI-13

The best way to get good money off ebay is to have the choke in the original package. 

I'll show you mine.

It would bring top dollar if I show my pattern I shot with it. 

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 15, 2014, 01:11:42 AM
The best way to get good money off ebay is to have the choke in the original package. 

I'll show you mine.

It would bring top dollar if I show my pattern I shot with it. 

Thats a thought. To be honest, I think my dad don't need as tight of a pattern as he shoots in that 835. Back before I got on this forum years ago setting his 835 up, I set him up with win 3.5 2.25 #6 supremes and put an 8" circle traced from a duct take-off on a piece of cardboard and got an average of around 170 in the 8" circle @ 40yds. He missed a turkey a few years after that with me @ 15yds, we went home and set up a target at the same distance and it looked like you shot it nearly point blank, like the size of a golf ball tight.

He is getting older and every year his diabetes has taken a huge toll on his eyesight. I know it's tough for him because up until he was in his 50's he could practically count the toes on a gnat and now he has to bi focal everthing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may indeed take some pictures of our pattern board, put his choke in the package, and list it on Ebay.

BTW, are people as crazy about the invector star dot? I would make someones head spin with a deal on it, just sitting in my cabinet.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I know the Invector Star Dot chokes will shoot.  I have seen the patterns.  But you can buy them off ebay for $20 shipped. 

knightrider

Borden811

Yeah, but those ones on ebay for 20 bucks are fakes, they have straight knurling.  :icon_thumright: