turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Apparently Some Still Don't Get It And Want To Just Cash In

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, March 11, 2014, 09:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Dot-Choke-Tube-12-Gauge-Shotgun-Extra-Full-Turkey-Hunting-Mossberg-835-/281281189985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417daa5861#ht_48wt_1105

Again I will state it here for all to see.  This is not an original Star Dot .676 choke that was made by Colonial Arms that had the knurled end at the top of the choke tube.  Any straight grooved Star Dot choke is not an original Star Dot choke and is in fact fake.  Please know this so you don't end up like this bidder buying a fake or be mislead by a seller who tries to sell you one like this guy.

Brad

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I'll also state that choke has changed packages or at least cardboard inserts.  That back of package on the cardboard if it were in fact labeled correctly for it being a fake should have PTC TEchnologies under where you see Highlander Sports.  The original Star Dot knurled at the top Colonial Arms chokes did not have PTC Technologies on the package.  So don't be mislead by the packaging.  Just look at the top of the choke to see whether knurled and real, or grooved and fake. 

davisd9

What is the difference in the pattern between the two?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: davisd9 on March 11, 2014, 09:58:14 AM
What is the difference in the pattern between the two?

David,

I have been told that the fake one I gave a guy I worked with using one of my 300325 #7's did 290 in a 9" circle at 40yds.  Now that's all I know.  That is pure speculation going off of what he told me.  But I would say the guy is very smart and pretty dang acccurate at what he said. 

My point in posting this here is false advertising.  When somebody pays good money and thinks they are getting an oringal, that is what they should in fact get. 

davisd9

I agree with that if it says original then it should be original. When it all comes down to it numbers are what matters to most people, not original or 2nd run. If it is false advertisement then I would not buy it on principle. Was just curious what the difference was in patterning.

Mine must not be original either cause it looks just like that. I got it new in package and was purchased from Walmart. Will have to look at the packaging to see what it shows at the bottom and back. I know for certain that the packaging or cardboard that mine came with is from the store and not changed. Will post it this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

That could very well be.  But you can bet the folks at Highlander Sports put these fake Straight groove Star Dots into the original cardboard packge if it don't say PTC Technologies on the back and it is in fact a straight grooved PTC choke. 

davisd9

10 4.  Whether it is "original" or not I paid $20-25 for mine new and she shoots like a dream!  Will post the pictures after 4 pm.  Thanks!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I sent the guy several messages on ebay telling him the true facts about his choke.  He still tries to tell me he got it from Walmart which I know is another lie.  It clearly states Shep's Sports World on the sticker.  Walmart sold the original Star Dot Colonial Arms chokes as new at $19.97 nationwide at the time.  They never sold these fakes either. 

FloppinTom

Wal-Mart did in fact sell the straight groove chokes in the 90s. That is where I bought my first one. Its a fake as you call it and it shoots great. Fake as it was it was still sold under the Star Dot name and marketed nationally.
The one on ebay you showed is a Preston Pittman it has writing on the choke itself.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: FloppinTom on March 11, 2014, 09:02:02 PM
Wal-Mart did in fact sell the straight groove chokes in the 90s. That is where I bought my first one. Its a fake as you call it and it shoots great. Fake as it was it was still sold under the Star Dot name and marketed nationally.
The one on ebay you showed is a Preston Pittman it has writing on the choke itself.

Tom,

They didn't start making the fakes until about 2000 or so.  Highlander Sports went out of business in 2003 I believe.  I'm pretty sure Walmart had pretty much quit selling Star Dots by 2000.  All the ones that I have ever seen here had knurling.  But a few may of hit some Walmarts. 

FloppinTom

I really dont think you should classify them as "fakes" they were both sold under the Star Dot heading and from the packaging registered under trademark. I have the both and and front and back photos of packaging. Heck even the packaging bar code is the same. You say they are fake because Colonial Arms didnt make them. They were never labeled or sold under any Colonial Arms branding. I just dont see how legally you could sell a trademark choke, with retail packaging and in a national market and be selling so called fakes. One was sold by PCT and one was sold by Highlander Sports both under the Star Dot trade mark so who is the fake?
LOL The real fakes have knurled ends and the authentic PTC Walmart sold Star Dots have straight grooves and pattern great.
I guess fake is in the eye of the beholder.  :popcorn:
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

RemingtonRules

Should we call 60 minutes?  This is an outrage.  I am glad Hevi is on it.  I am going to check CNN in the morning to see what the latest is.

WildTigerTrout

I bought a Star Dot choke for my Mossberg 835 about 2001 from Wal-Mart and it looked just like the one pictured. It had the straight grooves not knurling. I think it was about $20 at the time. I have since sold the gun and the choke. At the time I had no idea these chokes would have such a cult following.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

davisd9

Dag um, I forgot about this.  Will try to do it this evening when I get home.  My Star Dot was purchased in either 98 or 99, I believe, from Walmart.

DirtNap647

what is done to the original that makes it shoot better... naked eye its the same rather than the knurling...?