turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Wing

Started by Turkeyman62, March 11, 2014, 09:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman62

How many use a turkey wing for added realism with there calling ?  I do in the am for fly downs  :gobble:
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

appalachianstruttstopper

I use them on the few mornings I am there for fly down. Also use them to scratch in the leaves.

J Hook Max

I have used them many times.

renegade19

gobbler777

immatate fly down; sometimes for scratching leaves
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

THattaway

I always carry one. Use it sometimes but not if they are roosted close enough that the movement may spook them. They will add a good bit of realism to your set when used properly.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

datrip

Yes I use one and make sure I have it before I leave the truck
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

SCGobbler

I always have one.  I tie it to my vest with decoy line so I don't leave it if I get up to move.

I use it in the mornings before flydown to scratch the bark on trees.

I also use it to scratch in the leaves.

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

WildTigerTrout

I replaced the dyed domestic turkey feathers that came with my Primos "The Real Wing" with the wing feathers of a real wild gobbler I shot several years ago. It works very well. I use it in the mornings for flydowns, to scratch in the leaves and to simulate a turkey just stretching their wings. It is ALOT handier to carry than an entire wing also.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mudhen

Hat works....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

turkeyfoot

I just use my hat works just as well and one less thing I have to carry

tomstopper

Quote from: mudhen on March 12, 2014, 07:13:19 AM
Hat works....

mudhen

Quote from: turkeyfoot on March 12, 2014, 09:44:36 AM
I just use my hat works just as well and one less thing I have to carry
What these guys said.....

Jbird22

I believe in a wing!! Sometimes the wing with a few clucks and flydown cackle is all it takes!

Stickbow98

I've killed a couple of late-season birds using just the sounds made by my Primos wing. Those bird had been pounded all season, and came in silent and wary... Doubt they would have responded to any calling at that point. Some limb scratches, wing beats, and leaf rustling sealed the deal.
:OGani:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

old3toe

I seldom call to a gobbler on the roost in the morning. If i know where they are and call even softly there's always a good chance there's another gobbler closer to me that'll pick me off or worse hens that pick me off. They can sit there looking realize there's no bird there and head the opposite direction. I wait til after fly down time and try and sound like a small flock pitching down one at a time. With mouth call or tube i use my hat and cly down cackle and wing beat my hat breaking small limbs and twigs and dragging my foot to sound like they hit the ground. After the last bird landing i let everything settle down for a few minutes the give a few soft purs and scratch in the leaves a little.  I have had birds almost run me over many times doing just this. Never hitting a major call until i hear the beard getting closer as reassurance I'm there. Then i scratch em in if need be.