turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can you use a flashlight

Started by Recurve, March 10, 2014, 09:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recurve

I get turned around very easy in the dark is it ok to use a small pin light going to your setup?

appalachianstruttstopper

Only if your setup isn't any where close to, or under where the turkeys roost. I try not to use any light when I am going into my set-up. If you are trying to get in tight with roosted birds, you better walk through the woods like a ninja well before first light with no light.

eddie234

I use a green "cap" light and never had a problem. You should probably never set up right under a roosting tree anyway.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

northms

I wouldn't use a white light anywhere near them on the roost. I know guys who use red or preferably green lights but would advise to try your best to go fully dark if possible.

Good luck

tnturkey

I wouldn't advise it but if I did I would use a green one.

highwaygun

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on March 10, 2014, 09:40:33 PM
Only if your setup isn't any where close to, or under where the turkeys roost. I try not to use any light when I am going into my set-up. If you are trying to get in tight with roosted birds, you better walk through the woods like a ninja well before first light with no light.
what he said!

NappinUnderTrees

I hunt some spots in the mountains and would not want to walk in without a light. So I use a head mounted light I picked up at the hardware store. It has a bright white setting but it also has a green light and that's what I use. Makes getting in without walking off the side of a mountain an option for me!

Turkeyman62

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

J Hook Max

I guess I have a different answer than most here. Many times , I have walked under roosted turkeys with a small flashlight, not knowing it until they flew down. Other times I used my light on purpose to get very close to a roosted tom.
The real key is when I am trying to get to a certain spot in the dark , I go in very early , nearly an hour before turkeys would be waking up. I think noise is what wakes them. If the light helps you walk without noise then it can help you.
A lot of it depends on how leafed out the woods is. Early in the season , you have to be much more cautious. Just my opinion.

Skeeterbait

Green light as low lumen as you can get by with going in very early, or wait until it breaks day enough to go in by daylight, or go in by moonlight only, the preferred way.

J Hook Max

Moonlight is definitely your friend. I do now use a green light. In the old days , we didn't have that luxury.

hoyt

Quote from: J Hook Max on March 11, 2014, 12:38:37 PM
I guess I have a different answer than most here. Many times , I have walked under roosted turkeys with a small flashlight, not knowing it until they flew down.

X-2

cnette01

I always use a light, but I don't get too close and try to use either a red or green led setting.  I always go in early - about an hour before legal hunting time and that helps as the birds are still asleep.

Recurve

Ok thanks to all for the input

Matt81302

Call me crazy, but I dont even carry a light with me. I have never had a problem getting to where I need to go. I just take it slow and if it happens to be pitch black dark I get as close as I can,then wait until its starts to break day then slip the rest of the way.

But to answer your question. Sure you can get by using a light. I mean dont carry a spotlight and be shining the trees or anything, but a small light will be fine. As others have said, I believe its more the noise than the light that will get you busted.