OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Setting up 20 gauge for girlfriend to hunt with

Started by northms, March 10, 2014, 01:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

So my girlfriend mentioned the other day she would be interested in going hunting with me this year and that got the wheels turning on how to set up my 20 gauge for her.  It's a Mossberg pump that has a fixed barrel (aka no choke screw in possible) and I'll I've ever really used it for is dove hunting when I was quite young.

It shoots sweet and I know that the smaller gauge is what she'll need as far as recoil etc. We would hunt out of a blind where she could move around and not have me dragging her thru the hills and hollers to hell and back.  At least this way she'd be more inclined to come again if we didn't have luck the first time.

She has shot a .270 rifle before and actually killed a bigger deer than I ever have so I know she'll be able to handle the shotgun.

I guess my question is, without spending $8 per shell for a few hunts this year what shell would you recommend for the Mossy pump?  I don't have it in front of me here but I'm assuming it holds 3" shells.  If it doesn't then I'll have to get 2 3/4" and keep our shots to about 20 yards I suppose.

We'll get her some practice with dove loads before to get her used to it and put turkey shells in on the day of the hunt.

Thanks

SKFOOTER

Might wanna take this over to the 20 Gauge forum.