OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ported Barrel: Ported or non-ported choke

Started by cwhite, March 10, 2014, 01:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwhite

I have a Mossberg 500A with a 24" ported barrel. Will using a ported choke make the pattern worse or better or should I use a non-ported choke? Any help will appreciated, thanks.

northms

I shoot the same gun with the same ports. I use a full choke that is not ported.  I honestly cannot tell you the brand of the choke due to me buying it about 8 years ago.  I don't get into the multiple chokes and shells but I can tell you the longbeard XR 3" #6 shot was a killing load at over 40 yards.

I will probably buy a new choke next year that's much more updated to the times but can't really see the need to do so.

Good luck.

Skeeterbait

They are kind of two different purposes.  The barrel ports help counter muzzle rise and thus reduce felt recoil.  They do bleed off some of the pressure behind the wad and slow it a bit though.  Ports in a choke are exclusively meant to slow the wad and give the shot a chance to separate from it.  The sharp edges of the ports grab the wad, both stopping any spin and slowing it down as gas is vented behind the wad acting kind of like a jake break.  This is all about improving patterns along with other features of the choke such as wad catchers, parallel sections and overall choke geometry.

Gooserbat

Try what you got and if you don't like it, call William at Sumtoy, tell him what you got and what you want it to do.  He'll fix you up.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cwhite

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 10, 2014, 01:52:34 PM
Try what you got and if you don't like it, call William at Sumtoy, tell him what you got and what you want it to do.  He'll fix you up.
I'll give him a call tomorrow. For me with the non-ported factory choke, the pellet count falls off way too much.