turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help recoil !

Started by Canteathorns, March 09, 2014, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canteathorns

Does anyone use padding when patterning their gun ? If so what do you use ? I've got 2 barrels with 4 different chokes and 5 different loads to pattern . I will split up the shooting sessions but it will still be unpleasant . I guess I'm am really a wimp ! I'll stop whining now . Thanks

MuddyRiver

Get a Lead Sled Plus.  Your shoulder will thank you. 

BandedSpur

A Shooter's Friend Slip-On recoil pad helps a ton. A folded up towel between the gun and your shoulder helps as well.

BIGGUS

Lead Sled DFT + about 50lbs of lead shot. Still not great, but a LOT better.

RAY

I replaced my old recoil pad with a Simms Limbsaver. It made a world of difference. I probably would opt out of patterning my gun if I had to shoot the old one.  :z-dizzy:

Mike Honcho

It's usually warm out when I'm patterning so I slip a folded up small towel inside my tee shirt on right shouder.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Redfish

I've got a PAST Recoil reducer that you wear on your shoulder that I use when sighting in a large caliber rifle and it works really well. I've never used it sighting in a turkey gun but I'm fortunate that I can shoot in my backyard so I just shoot two or three turkey targets a day and quit before my 3.5" 12 ga. starts getting to me.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous
John 3:16

30_06

I put a Pachmayr or a Limbsaver on all of my guns. Next best thing for me was a lead slead......but I did eventually sell mine.

turkeyhunter91

I place a bag of sand on my bench and put the gun up to it so it absorbs the recoil. I hope this helps

shotgun_oly

What the others have said, leadslead or a better pad like a limbsaver will do ya wonders :z-twocents:

bmhern

Lead sled, for sighting in a rifle or shotgun it can't be beat.

Skeeterbait

Don't shoot your gun hunched over on a bench like a rifle.  Find a way to sit up streight so the body can rock back with the recoil.  On a bench, use something to prop the gun up higher.  I personally perfer to sit in a folding chair and use a Stoney point bipod to hold the gun up.  Hunching over your punishing yourself without reason.  I use a PAST wearable recoil pad and a ear muff and can shoot 3.5" in an 835 all day if I need to with little discomfort.

Redfish

Good point about sitting up straight. I also sit in a low turkey chair and shoot off of a Bog Pod tripod. My feet come off the ground with every shot and that takes most of the punch out of it.
John 3:16

Old Gobbler

Load the magazine of that gun up to maximum capacity , get a good recoil pad , limbsaver etc....

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon