OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Noisy mossberg

Started by FXDWG, March 09, 2014, 09:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDWG

Good morning ya'll. I'm hunting with my ten y/o son this morning and his 500 rattles with every move, much more so than an 835. It is the wooden stock. Other than replacing it with an 870, has anyone figured out a way to quiet it a bit? I was thinking that a plastic stock might help.

Old Gobbler

I had one that did that , it was a pain , never did figure out  how to fix it

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

cjordan

outdoors

CLOTH TAPE WORKS , IM GOING TO FIX MINE I JUST GOT A 935 THAT MAXES A NOISE WHEN I GET READY TO AIM.     
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Isomaad

My 930 makes a terribly loud noise right when I pull the trigger.  I don't think there is much I can do for it though.  Sorry guys, couldn't resist.  Lol!

captin_hook

Sell it, buy a Remington

WildSpur

It's a double problem for mossbergs.    You have both action bars that have some slop in them that causes some noise.  The other noise comes from slop in the slide as it covers the magazine tube. 

Ironically it appears that there is a threaded end in the slide .  If someone could make a threaded Teflon washer that could remedy half the problem.

I know that mossberg makes them this way for combat purposes but Imo don't give large pieces of debris the chance to jam your action anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

shadetree callers

Thats been a problem for mossberg for as long as they have made the 500. There is no fix for it and I agree you should switch to an 870.

PEHunter

I have used the soft side of velcro to take up slop in the grip on my 835.  It took some time to get it placed in the right spots, but it did help some.  Before that it rattled like a worn out pulp wood truck. 

trkehunr93

My 500 is the same way, I just learned to keep my hand on the foreend to help keep it quiet when I am sitting. 

outdoors

I JUST FINISHED DOING A DEEEEEEP CLEANING AND PUT HER BACK TOGETHER AND FOUND OUT THAT THE STOCK WASN'T TIGHT , I TIGHT'N IT UP AND NOOOOO NOISE IM VERY HAPPY ,
    SO THERE U REMINGTON FAN'S ,     PS: I DONT THINK REMINGTON ARE AS GOOD AS THEY WAS ONCE WAS ........ NOT FOR THE MONEY ......    :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

dirtnap

I have an idea.  Be still.  It won't make noise when it's not moving.   :boon:

knightrider

my 500 and 835 only make one noise and that's BOOM,BOOM,BOOM  :z-guntootsmiley: and you couldn't give me two heavy remingtons for one of my mossbergs :funnyturkey:

captin_hook

Quote from: outdoors on March 10, 2014, 11:23:00 AM
I JUST FINISHED DOING A DEEEEEEP CLEANING AND PUT HER BACK TOGETHER AND FOUND OUT THAT THE STOCK WASN'T TIGHT , I TIGHT'N IT UP AND NOOOOO NOISE IM VERY HAPPY ,
    SO THERE U REMINGTON FAN'S ,     PS: I DONT THINK REMINGTON ARE AS GOOD AS THEY WAS ONCE WAS ........ NOT FOR THE MONEY ......    :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Glad you fixed the problem. I've owned a few mossbergs , and never will again. Give it a little time, it'll start to rattle again.