Started by ericjames, March 09, 2014, 07:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickhrp

God Bless the Outdoors

TJK68

Illini Tom

got my second tom yesterday
it was raining but i slipped on the rain gear and off i went
was soaked to the bone after a long walk in and when the rain stopped shortly after i got to my tree, water continued to drip off the big oak and run down my back. fortunately, it was in the low 60s, so it wasnt too bad
finally started to get light and i could see birds in the trees around me. as i continued to sit absolutely motionless, i could see a long beard swinging in the wind but when he tried to fan on the limb a gust would about knock him out of the tree.
not a gobble on the roost, and as it was creeping toward sunrise, it was still dark, hazy and gloomy. but then two birds pitched out and lit about 60 yards down the hill from me. the anticipation intensified as i thought, "must be hens, that big tom will fly down next."
but then i could make out beards, nice beards, so i gave a soft yelp on a Gooserbat Hillbilly, one of them responded with the day's first gobble and they both came up the hill right to me, and the one with the longer beard took a mud nap.
was a 3 year old that had sharp 1 1/16 spurs, 9.5 beard but only weighed 20 and scored 60.25

ericjames

Congrats, that's a fine looking bird. I guess I am not going to be able to upgrade my entry in the contest. Today is the last day of season, so now the count down begins to next March 15.

Hoosier2

Well opening week and weekend came and gone for me. No bird for me. However I spent time with my old man in the turkey blind and he was fortunate enough to smack and indiana bird at 930. Gobbled half a dozen times before coming in. Best part was getting it all on film.

20 lb bird 12.25" beard and 20 mm spurs. The longbeard #5 put a thump on him at 30 yards. What an awesome feeling to share a blind with my old man.

Illini Tom

congrats hoosiers. thats one heck of a beard  :drool:

nickhrp

Congrats that's a big rope

God Bless the Outdoors

ericjames

cphill

Very nice bird

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

sonofabuck

Used my last tag today on a small two year old so no upgrade from Kentucky.  What a fun hunt though.  He was in a food plot about four hundred yards away with a hen.  I closed the distance to about 200 yards and started calling.  He cut me off right away and started strutting right for me.  Got to watch him the whole way.  I shot him at 40 paces.  He put on quite a show. 

sonofabuck

Congrats!  Let us know when you get the video up.  Would love to see it.
Quote from: Hoosier2 on May 01, 2014, 03:24:57 PM
Well opening week and weekend came and gone for me. No bird for me. However I spent time with my old man in the turkey blind and he was fortunate enough to smack and indiana bird at 930. Gobbled half a dozen times before coming in. Best part was getting it all on film.