OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snakes in middle TN

Started by d.winsor, March 07, 2014, 05:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d.winsor

Should I be concerned when turkey hunting

strutstopper

They are out there, but luckily I have never saw a poisonous snake while hunting. I've seen several black snakes and chicken snakes though. My snake boots are always on while turkey hunting just to be safe.

tnturkey

I wouldn't worry about it. they are here but if you just a little careful you should be good. I see more poisonous snakes in residential areas when mowing then hunting. ive only seen one poisonous snake while hunting ever here.

timberjack86

I hardly ever see any hunting bottomland. But the mountains have rattleheadedcopper snakes :o

Bigspurs68

Hunted Yanahli last spring. Saw no snakes unless you count the one that parked by my truck and slid in on me and my little girl. When he shot, my girl thought it was me! Too close!
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

L.F. Cox

Quote from: d.winsor on March 07, 2014, 05:13:31 PM
Should I be concerned when turkey hunting
Buddie got bit by a small rattler on his dairy'air one year at LBL.

darn2ten

I wouldn't worry about it. I got buddies that have never ever seen a poisonous snake in their entire life in Tennessee. I have never seen one in the woods, but have seen rattlers dead on the road not far from my house.

turkeyfoot

Like most anywhere they are around but rarely seen just watch it around rocky outcroppings and through the tick stuff. Biggest worry is walking in the dark that is when they are most active thats why I wear my snake boots

jhcats10

Quote from: timberjack86 on March 07, 2014, 05:58:30 PM
I hardly ever see any hunting bottomland. But the mountains have rattleheadedcopper snakes :o

We call them copperheadedwatermocasins :)

allchokedup

I don't know where everyone else is hunting, but I see them dang thangs all the time. So much so, that I will never go out there with out snake boots until November. Maybe I see um because I'm always looking for them?  "Me a BIG CHICKEN!" I lived in S. Fl  (55 yrs.) until 5 yrs ago and moved here to upper middle TN . In South Fl. I hunted where there was nothing but them stinking Cottonmouths, Rattlesnakes and Ground Rattlers...never ever got bit and never wore snake boots. I wasn't raised in the city, we lived out in the boonies. When I was a kid, I very seldom wore shoes, but never got bit. I lived here 1yr and "smack" Sorry piece of crap Copperhead nailed me on my left foot!
My opinion...wear snake boots and watch where you plant your be-hind. Those suckers get down in the leaves and you just can't see um. But I promise you...they're there!
The guys saying don't worry about ain't got bit......yet. lol

bigbird

I seen a copperhead one year and heard a rattle on the same hunt down there! We got both up here and one morning plopped my happy  down and could smell those little devils! Ruined my freakin morning!

surehuntsalot

I know we have them right below you here in Ms. all the time
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

old3toe

I got these two in kentucky. I've seen some big ones but these are the biggest copperheads I've seen. One was 46" the other was 43". Not counting the section with the head missing.

Mossy535

Quote from: jhcats10 on March 08, 2014, 09:21:03 AM

We call them copperheadedwatermocasins :)

Those are pussycats compared to the water headed copper moccasins!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"How many times da I have to tell ya...the right tool for the right job!" - Scotty

"I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog"- Bob Lee Swagger

nickhrp

Lived and hunted Tn my whole and one rule my uncle who taught me to hunt always told me be weary where you step in the spring especially open hillsides and any open spot with direct sunlight
I have encountered many (sunning) snakes while turkey hunting

God bless the outdoors

God Bless the Outdoors