turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not a very happy camper

Started by surehuntsalot, March 06, 2014, 09:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

got a text at work today "started logging at camp today" so naturally I had to ride out there this afternoon.
Not happy at all,any advise on how to possibly hunt this area while logging going on ??????
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

turkey_slayer

It want bother em. My family has logged for nearly 40 years. They will just stay back a little from the equipment. I don't know how many we've heard gobble at trees crashing into the ground

BowBendr

Never been through it personally, but i've had guys tell me that the birds stayed and worked around the logging and i've heard them say the birds moved right back in there as soon as the logging was done. Either way, the birds didn't leave. Sorry you had to have it happen right as the season opens though...it doesn't do much for your morale, i'm sure.

tomstopper

Don't know about during the logging but after they are done the turkeys will love it. IMO they love the logging roads b/c it's a strut zone and the shoots of grass that begins to grow in the spring. Also if they left the tops it makes for a number of good nesting sites for the hens. Hope this helps you stay positive about your situation.

Tail Feathers

I killed one about four years ago that I swore wasn't going to fly down until they cut the tree he was in.  Equipment within probably 80 yards of his roost tree.  I sat up on the opposite side and called him and his hen down a four wheeler trail.  I used the loggers to my advantage, figured he wouldn't fly out towards them.
Unless they totally clearcut it, they probably won't go far.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Skeeterbait

The aggrivating part of course is the noise.  Don't worry bout the turkeys, they will hear you.  But it is hard to hear them.  Most crews dont crank up at the crack of dawn so you will likely have an hour of peace at first light.  They take breaks and shut down periodically when you can hear a bird and get on him before they crank up again.  If legal in your state, consider hunting late afternoons after they shut down. And if they are not rushed too get the tract done maybe they won't work on weekends.  Do you know if they are clear cutting or thinning and 5th rowing?  How big is the timber?  if not real big maybe they are just thinning and will move out before season ends.  The birds will move away from the noise but not too far.  Hopefully you have enough acreage to move off far enough that the noise won't be deafening.

BowBendr

Oh BTW, if i'm not mistaken, a member of my team put a kill video from SC last year and you could hear the saws running and trees falling while he was calling the tom in. Killed him just like nothing was going on. Go for it brother !

CASH

Hunt it anyway. Last club I belonged to got clear cut at the start of deer season all the way through turkey season. I got pissed off and hunted it twice. Wasted my money while other guys were killing turkeys. They'll still be there.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

FullChoke

Man, that sounds like a controlled burn. Looks desolate to us but looks like pure heaven to the birds. We still going, right? This will be fun.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

Thanks for the morale booster gentlemen

surehuntsalot

Quote from: FullChoke on March 06, 2014, 10:42:14 PM
Man, that sounds like a controlled burn. Looks desolate to us but looks like pure heaven to the birds. We still going, right? This will be fun.

Oh yea,we are still on,just ticks me off right here at the opener

cahaba

They were logging a section of our club one time and I avoided it like a plague. I figured no bird in his right mind would be around all that commotion till I heard one gobble at a log trucks brakes. I killed him that evening. Hunt the edges where it's clear cut.

DirtNap647

not a problem they don't care almost like farm machinery just seems natural take an atv through the woods game stares and watches you go by walk on foot they run outta town...only drawback is hearin gobbling over machinery

IowaGobblers

They shouldn't care too much. This farm I used to hunt on had a quarry a couple of hundred yards behind and they didn't seem to care when they fired up the machines. I had it happen quite a few times when birds were fired up and a machine started backing up, the bird would gobble at every beep.

honker22

I recently went out to check a pine thinning operation, on a place I've never seen a turkey.  Got about 100 yards past the equipment and there was a big longbeard and a few hens.  It will be a slight hindrance for you, from a hearing standpoint, but the birds won't be too far away.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.