turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will sights fix this?

Started by ccaldwell, March 05, 2014, 05:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccaldwell

I have a 20 gauge Encore that is shooting about 10-12 inches low. I bought a set of Tru-Glo Pro series magnum gobble-dot sights and I was wondering if these would adjust enough to correct my POA. I included a photo of one of my shots.

Also, I killed my first bird last year with this gun and i never patterned it. I couldn't figure out why i shot the turkey so dang low until I patterned the gun after the season. I think that I got pretty dang lucky with my first kill!!

Nd2020

You will have to shoot it and see.

allaboutshooting

A couple of questions might be in order.

Was that shot made at 40 yards?

Secondly, have you shot your Encore with the flush mounted full choke that came with your gun?

I'd recommend that you shoot your gun at no more than 15 to 20 yards with the factory full choke to see if it's your gun or the choke that you're using. It could be either.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

Quote from: ccaldwell on March 05, 2014, 05:34:12 AM
I have a 20 gauge Encore that is shooting about 10-12 inches low. I bought a set of Tru-Glo Pro series magnum gobble-dot sights and I was wondering if these would adjust enough to correct my POA. I included a photo of one of my shots.

Also, I killed my first bird last year with this gun and i never patterned it. I couldn't figure out why i shot the turkey so dang low until I patterned the gun after the season. I think that I got pretty dang lucky with my first kill!!
Do you have your rear sight elevated up as far as it will go??  If not, try that adjustment first.  You move the rear sight in the direction you want your pattern to go. :OGturkeyhead:

ccaldwell

I still haven't put the sights on it, i was just making sure they would adjust this much. My gun has shot this low with 3 different chokes now, including the factory full

Rapscallion Vermilion

If that was at 40 yards, then you are going to need to raise the rear sight about 3/16 inch relative to the front sight (assuming ~ 24 inches between the two) and your previous line of sight.  The rear Tru Glo sight should have that much travel, but the tall Tru Glo front sight is working against you.  So if you can't get there with the Tru Glo front sight, you might end up using the Tru Glo rear sight and something else that sits lower in the front.

ccaldwell

okay thanks! and i forgot to say that yes, this was at 40 yards

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ccaldwell on March 05, 2014, 12:21:22 PM
okay thanks! and i forgot to say that yes, this was at 40 yards

You can also raise the comb of your stock a bit and that will also help raise your point of impact.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

Quote from: ccaldwell on March 05, 2014, 12:01:46 PM
I still haven't put the sights on it, i was just making sure they would adjust this much. My gun has shot this low with 3 different chokes now, including the factory full
What abput the factory sights that came on the Encore barrel??  Are you not using and adjusting them???

d.winsor

If all else fails put a scope or a red dot on it.  After reading some of the posts, I got the idea that you didn't say what size choke you were using, if POI is not consistent if it floats around you might have it over choked.  I patterned some years ago and out of a .640 hastings I had that problem.

Turkey Trot

You can raise the comb with Slimsides from D&E Enterprises, sold by Brownell's and others.  God'aGrip had comb pads that are less expensive.

The other option is to send the gun to a smith like SumToy and let William et al determine if the gun has a straight bore axis and whether the chamber and bore are concentric.  One may need to lengthen the cones, backbore or overbore, and re-thread the choke.

I have a Remington with a similar problem and have "papered over"  the problem enough to kill a turkey, but the problem is that it is still an inadequate gun that is useful only for spot shooting.  It needs to be smithed to be useful to  wing shoot doves, ducks, pheasants, etc. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

I add to my response above that you will sometimes be surprised by swapping up chokes and loads.  My low shooter is at its worst with a turkey choke and turkey load.  I can put a low brass game load through a turkey choke and it shoots better, and a game load through a standard choke like mod or I/C does even better.  The brand of ammo doesn't seem to matter much by itself.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

ccaldwell

I appreciate the responses guys! There is a possibility that my chokes could be causing some of it, but my gun shoots extremely low with any choke. I think it may because of a very high vent rib and a very high bead on the vent rib. At 15 yards I have to aim 3-4 inches above a coke bottle to even make contact with it at all. and That is whether I'm using my Sumtoy, HS Undertaker, or factor full