OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Started by seth.powell, March 04, 2014, 11:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth.powell

renegade19

:welcomeOG:

I have not used that decoy nor would I.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but I try to be ultra careful with dekes even on private land that only I have permission to be on.  You never know when someone is gonna cross the line.

Twowithone

Someone,s gonna get hurt using this tactic hunters do sneak into other hunters calling turfs. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Spring_Woods

I don't see why no one can't just lean up against a tree and try calling them in? When I see something like this, I just think- why? Why does a product like this exist? It's simple, people have become too impatient to try to call in birds anymore.

You take away one of the most exciting elements of turkey hunting in exchange for a kill, rather than a hunt. That being the cat and mouse game. The calls, the language you speak to the birds is memorable. I don't see any skill in this method.

One of the best feelings in the world is when you've been battling a bird and you get that first glimpse of him coming in. I always think - wow! I can't believe I actually tricked him!

Doing it this way would give me no satisfaction whatsoever. Empty kill, or worse a partial hit  resulting in a wounded bird.
YMMV
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 14, 2014, 01:26:47 PM
I don't see why no one can't just lean up against a tree and try calling them in? When I see something like this, I just think- why? Why does a product like this exist? It's simple, people have become too impatient to try to call in birds anymore.

You take away one of the most exciting elements of turkey hunting in exchange for a kill, rather than a hunt. That being the cat and mouse game. The calls, the language you speak to the birds is memorable. I don't see any skill in this method.

One of the best feelings in the world is when you've been battling a bird and you get that first glimpse of him coming in. I always think - wow! I can't believe I actually tricked him!

Doing it this way would give me no satisfaction whatsoever. Empty kill, or worse a partial hit  resulting in a wounded bird.
YMMV

I still get the same feeling when I see one working in now as I did 20 years ago. It's a rush. Tv got to the point years ago where you didnt even hear much calling or if they did it was like they had never used a call before. They sit in a blind and set a spread of decoys out and wait for the bird. I quit watching shows years ago cause every one was the same way.

tomstopper

This decoy will get someone hurt. Poachers/tresspassers are everywhere (both private & public land). IMO this takes the fun out of seeing how well I can call that gobbler to me....

appalachianstruttstopper

Kick back and relax a little with your hunting styles. I know everyone has their prefered methods of hunting, but nothing is more satisfieing to me than making it more challenging than easier to just kill turkeys.

For example, leave your modern camo at the house and go to the woods with an old pair of work pants, brown flannel shirt and a hat with a wingbone yelper, piece of smooth flagstone glued to a box turtle shell, homemade white pine burnt end striker. Pile in behind a log, or brush yourself in and spend a few mornings in the woods like this until you are succesful.

When I have an old tom close enough to see his nostrils while carrying my great grandfather's double barrel stevens 20ga thats a different kind of rush than just killing a turkey.

May not be for everybody, might spend 2 weeks of my season trying to fool an ole tom with more of a disdvantage to myself, but I have never forgotten any of these hunts.

TalksToTurkeys

Quote from: seth.powell on March 16, 2014, 10:53:41 PM
I was strictly asking if anyone had handled the decoy first hand.

No. I haven't.

tnturkey

way to dangerous imo. for me if I am looking at a decoy its between avian and dsd.

callwinner11

i smell lawsuit!!!!!!!
some ones gonna get hurt!!!!!!!!!

highcottton

I use the flextone thunder chicken and have had a lot of success with it.