OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tc pro hunter turkey gun

Started by thickey62, March 04, 2014, 09:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thickey62

I have a pro hunter 12 gauge turkey gun that I recently purchased an indian creek choke tube for.  I plan to shoot 3" hevishot magnum blends out of it.  I am wondering if anyone has this setup? How it shoots? And if there is a cheaper and/or better shot shell for my setup?

d.winsor

I have a pro hunter but not in a shotgun, I have read a couple of articles that say as light as the 12 gauge is that they kick like a mule, just a heads up.  Don't overlook the Winchester Long Beard Shells Copper plated lead. On a pattern board, many say the long beards give HTL a run for the money.  I am partial to #5's and a .665 choke but I don't know how the pro hunter will digest that.  If I ever got a 12 gauge barrel for my gun that is the first combination I would try.  Good Luck

mightyjoeyoung

What you have now should work just fine.  If you don't get the pattern density you want with the mag blends, you might want to try the 2 ounce 3" straight 6s or 7s.  DEEP CLEAN and maybe polish the barrel using the instructions on here and you should be good.  If you want to try the Fed. Heavyweights I'd go with a Carlson's non-ported choke in .660 or even .640 if you're feeling squirrelly. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

d.winsor

I was doing some checking on the chokes for T/C and they said the T/C 12 gauge takes a winchester choke thread pattern, also that the tighter T/C chokes could not have steel shot thru them.  I don't know anything about HTL but you might want to check with T/C and see if its ok to shoot it thru their chokes, wouldn't want to damage anything.  That information came out of the T/C Manual for the 12 gauge shotgun barrel.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: d.winsor on March 05, 2014, 01:37:27 PM
I was doing some checking on the chokes for T/C and they said the T/C 12 gauge takes a winchester choke thread pattern, also that the tighter T/C chokes could not have steel shot thru them.  I don't know anything about HTL but you might want to check with T/C and see if its ok to shoot it thru their chokes, wouldn't want to damage anything.  That information came out of the T/C Manual for the 12 gauge shotgun barrel.

He'll be fine with ANY turkey choke threaded for winchester invector threads with ANY "fine" lead, tungsten/tungsten blend or even fine steel shot-though I wouldn't shoot #4 steel at a turkey unless I had just used up all my other loads killing zombies in the appocolypse.   ;D
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mtsrunner

I have turkey hunted exclusively with a T/C Encore 12 ga for the last 7 or 8 years. I have used both the 24" and 20" barrels (the 20" was discontinued). I had an ICSS choke for a while, but sold it. Honestly, it gave me great patterns (low 200s at 40 yds). I ended up choosing the Kicks GT .665, but would have been just as happy with the Indian Creek.
I am using the same load you are asking about.  I have always shot HTL through my Encore barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thickey62

Thanks guys all input is appreciated