Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How does one determine proper length of pull?

Started by ads1, March 04, 2014, 12:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ads1

I have a short length of pull but don't really know how to determine the proper length of pull. Any general recommendations??
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Skeeterbait

Good articles.  It takes a gun to measure your length of pull.  A proper length stock with standard sporting grip will allow about two finger widths between the end of your nose and thumb knuckle.  This is assuming you have your head positioned on the stock at a proper comfortable position.  Thus you have to know a little about how to hold a gun before you can hold it properly for measurement.  And a pistol grip stock throws that out the window.  You have to measure on a standard sporting grip that is the correct length for you, then measure the gun, which by the way, is trigger to back of recoil pad. Gun fitters use a special measuring stock that is adjustable for LOP and many more adjustments.  Not something the typical shooter goes and has done though.

The thing about bending arm and taking measurement from bicep to pad on trigger finger doesn't work.  In my case I would have to subtract 1.25" from that measurement to get my true LOP.

I have found I am comfortable with a pistol grip turkey gun 1 inch shorter than my true LOP.  That with a short barrel makes for a very handy length gun in the turkey woods.

ads1

Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois