turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to turkey hunting in Ft. Bliss and Southern NM

Started by ul ess, March 02, 2014, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ul ess

I just found out I'll be stationed at Ft. Bliss this summer and am looking to find out what the turkey prospects in the area look like. I've been hunting in SD, NE and KS on public land near the Missouri River the last couple years and have been doing pretty well. However, I have a feeling NM will be a completely different experience. I'm excited to try a new area and want to start off on the right foot, since I'll only be in the area a couple seasons at best.

My main question is are there any birds on White Sands or Bliss? If not what are my best chances as someone who'll be new to the region?

Also, are there any general rules of thumb for desert birds?

Thanks

Old Gobbler

I've never hunted that area , but be advised active military personnel on many bases throughout the country have special privileges - like waived hunting permit fees, priority on permits and access to areas , and often times special areas only the military personnel can hunt   :wave:

Do some research or call up the base outdoor recreation commander and ask for specifics
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

GobbleNut

I live in Las Cruces and have hunted this area for decades.  There are no turkey hunting opportunities on WSMR or Ft. Bliss.  However, there is some really good Merriams hunting in the mountains of southern NM, and a limited amount of Rio Grande hunting in a few areas.  Your best bet is to hunt for Merriams in the mountains,...and my recommendation is to hunt in the Lincoln National Forest in the Cloudcroft area.  I'll PM you about it.