OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Q: Can You Predict Ahead of Time The Best Mornings for Gobbling?

Started by bamagtrdude, February 28, 2014, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

MuddyRiver

I've never figured out when they will gobble.  It seems like sometimes they all get together and agree that "nobody gobbles today, guys"  and then you don't hear anything.   Weird.  Other days they all get fired up.

Only sure way to know is to get out of bed and go to the woods. 

bamagtrdude

Well, here's my answer to the question: I really could care less if I can predict if they'll gobble or not!  :)  If it's turkey season & I'm in a position to go, I'm going whether they're gobbling or not.  I love hearing one gobble, but it's not the end-all/be-all for me; I learned a long time ago that a gobbling bird is a "living" bird!

So, I don't even try to predict if they're gobbling or not; I just go & try to make it happen on every hunt, gobble or no gobble.  Trying to "predict *AHEAD* of time" is putting the cart before the horse; it's really a question to "catch" an impatient turkey hunter, imo.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Neill_Prater

I tend to agree with most of the other posts. It is impossible to predict when birds will gobble. However, one of my favorite times to be in the woods is after a rain if the sky clears and the sun comes out. That is the one time I really expect to hear a gobble, and often do.

I worked at a state hospital for a few years after high school. It was a large campus, with huge mature oaks and a population of hundreds of squirrels, which, some days, would be running around everywhere, and others, you wouldn't see a one. I squirrel hunted a lot back then, and if I got off work in the afternoon, and didn't see any squirrels out, I wouldn't bother with going hunting because it was likely I wouldn't see many in my hunting woods either.

I've hunted turkeys long enough to believe there is a rhyme or reason to why they gobble or not, I'm just not sure us humans will ever fully understand that reason. Sure, where they are in the breeding cycle has a lot to do with gobbling activity overall, but like all of you, I've hunted a property one day, and heard birds in every direction. The next morning, nothing, and common sense tells me that not every bird gets to an identical situation in the breeding cycle in 24 hours. 

lonnie sneed jr.

WISH I could, been out on morning that I thought they would gobble there heads off, and never hear anything. Also been the other way around.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

owlhoot

The entire week before the season, especially the last 2 days before.

brittman

I wish I could, but in MN you get a 5 day gun season - so if you are serious about killing a turkey you hunt most (if not all days) in you season.   Well unless you kill one early on.

The only time they usually don't gobble much is when it is real cold (below 32F) or its raining.

Calm morning after a late night thunderstorm do seem to be good.

That said, One morning I will hear nothing and 30 miles away they never stopped.