turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Terrible patterning guns!!!

Started by SCDieselDawg, February 27, 2014, 01:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

I'm sure some of you have come across a gun that no matter what choke or shell you tried it wouldn't produce a sufficient pattern. What did you do? Send it to a gunsmith, buy new barrel or trade/sell it?

I'm working on a Remington 870 3". I've tried multiple shells both Pb and Hevi. And more chokes than I care to count. The Hevi patterns were huntable and Pb was beyond disappointing. It's been deep c?eaned and that didn't help. I'm thinking of sending it off to have the forcing cone lengthened and polushed. Any suggestions?

klemsontigers7

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on February 27, 2014, 01:17:31 PM
I'm sure some of you have come across a gun that no matter what choke or shell you tried it wouldn't produce a sufficient pattern. What did you do? Send it to a gunsmith, buy new barrel or trade/sell it?

I'm working on a Remington 870 3". I've tried multiple shells both Pb and Hevi. And more chokes than I care to count. The Hevi patterns were huntable and Pb was beyond disappointing. It's been deep c?eaned and that didn't help. I'm thinking of sending it off to have the forcing cone lengthened and polushed. Any suggestions?

You tried the Jellyhead I sent you, right?

THattaway

What do you consider huntable?

I'd polish it with VAhunters procedure before doing anything else. It only helps in my experience on the 5 guns I've done that had tool marks, rough barrels. Does your 870 shoot true? I also had one a few years ago that patterned like crap and off to the side. Did some hard looking and found the choke bored off center, not the tube but part of the barrel it goes in. Called Remington and they sent me a brand new barrel no questions asked. Didn't even want the old one back.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

davisd9

Never ran into an issue other than wanting more than I was getting and got that fixed.

Buddy has a 3" 870 with 26" barrel and a PG 670 did the trick. He averages 220 with the 3" mag blends and hevi 3" 6s.

How big of paper are you shooting? Need at least 3x3 and I prefer 3' tall and 4' wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

longbeards

2 years ago I bought my youngest son an 870 turkey for high school graduation,,,same story,,wouldnt pattern well and I tried 4 or 5 different chokes that worked in my other rems,,,it also would not pump out the empty very easily,,sent me a new barrel and it is a killing machine,,longbeards

Longshanks

Replacement barrel is about the best option if polishing doesn't work. Gunsmiths have aggressive tools that can take out allot of material if polishing with the procedure on this site doesn't work. Had one of my bbl's done for 30.00. It's now one of my best patterning guns.

SCDieselDawg

I just looked back through my notes. I was mistaken about the Hevi, this gun produced some excellent patterns with Hevi 6s and Mag blends (190s). But that was last year! I've been trying to set this gun up for Pb. The best so far has been mid-80s with grey box Winchester 6s. As far as targets go I'm shooting at 3'x3' paper. And the Poa/Poi is the same. I'm going to polish per the instructions in the sticky here on OG if I can find all the components.

scdxt

Bring it with you when you come to the house and just give it to me... Problem solved lol. I think we can get it working.

perrytrails

Something to try, for years I shot the Remington 4x6 3 inch duplex loads. Great patterns with a 24 inch barrel and a .660 choke.

Believe it or not, out of all the shells I've patterned through it 2 3/4 Winchester XX #6 copper plated shells have killed my last 10 birds. Several of those at the 40 yard range, with out a flop. Guys I hunt with have been impressed with this gun.

I've never deep cleaned this barrel. The barrel is a Remington slug barrel, rifle sights with factory screw in chokes. Not easy to find on the shelf anywhere, but its still being made. I bought it from Cableas years ago. The rifled sights are awesome for Turkey.

R AJ

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on February 27, 2014, 03:22:43 PM
I just looked back through my notes. I was mistaken about the Hevi, this gun produced some excellent patterns with Hevi 6s and Mag blends (190s). But that was last year! I've been trying to set this gun up for Pb. The best so far has been mid-80s with grey box Winchester 6s. As far as targets go I'm shooting at 3'x3' paper. And the Poa/Poi is the same. I'm going to polish per the instructions in the sticky here on OG if I can find all the components.

Load it with Win LB XR #6s and use a 643-665 choke and if numbers are still too bad to hunt you have a problem with your barrel.

West Augusta

The 28" barrel on my 870 Super Mag patterned terrible.  I bought a 24" barrel and put 665 jellyhead on it and couldn't be happier with it.  Shooting older Hevi13 Mag Blends in 3 1/2"
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Gobble!

What size target are you shooting at? Is it large enough to see your entire pattern? The problem may be POA and POI and not the same so your not seeing the guns true pattern if shooting at a small target.

Pressured Gobbler

Something is wrong!!! Wether it be the shooter or the gun.... My guess it's the shooter...

A lot of people get caught up in this "10 inch circle"

Your talking about guys who have more money than they know what to do with!!!

Get a jelly head choke and a box of hevi 13 #6's and you should be ok out to 40 yards...

If your wanting to shoot lead then get a kick GT .665 and a box of win new LB loads and your done

SCDieselDawg

I'm shooting at 3'x3' sheets of paper. It appears as if the wad is making heavy contact with the barrel near the half way point. It also appears that the fouling that occurs from this contact is only covering 3/4 of the inside diameter of the barre at the point of contact. Almost like it is oval shaped.

Here's a pic I took before cleaning it.