turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend good tube call?

Started by jakesdad, February 26, 2014, 03:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Can anybody recommend a good tube call for a beginner?I have an olivewood tube from pappy that i'm learning on just wondering if there were any recommendations for easy to learn good sounding tubes.Thanks!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

eddie234

None better than pappy's. Ive got the killer keg and it is awesome.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: eddie234 on February 26, 2014, 03:37:48 PM
None better than pappy's. Ive got the killer keg and it is awesome.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

yup  :icon_thumright:

Kates

I carry three to four tubes at a time, with different latex.  In no particular order, Craig Corbett, Pappy and Matt McClain.  I have just ordered one from Barry and look forward to getting it.  I am setting up a Terry Madawell tube just for gobbling this year.  I'm still trying to find the right latex/theraband fit for it. I have 30+ tubes and its probably the toughest due to it not having a lip stop.

jakesdad

Whats the trick to getting the band on the tube without the latex moving?Seems everytime I try to adjust the latex its a pain getting the band on without the latex sliding.Also what kind of gap should there be between the latex and the tube end?(where your lip goes)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

JLCcalls

Quote from: jakesdad on February 26, 2014, 07:14:04 PM
Whats the trick to getting the band on the tube without the latex moving?Seems everytime I try to adjust the latex its a pain getting the band on without the latex sliding.Also what kind of gap should there be between the latex and the tube end?(where your lip goes)

Try rubber bands instead of an o-ring.   I use a medium stretch on the latex and put it right up close to the lip-stop. 

Houndstooth Game Calls

Here's one I make and a oring is the best way to go for fine tuning this tube has .003 latex for a deeper sound I go to .004..

http://s1133.photobucket.com/user/houndstoothgamecalls/media/30efb090.mp4.html

Here's a pic of a osage 1

TRKYHTR

Quote from: jakesdad on February 26, 2014, 07:14:04 PM

Depends on what type of band you have for your tube. The hardest to adjust is the O ring but when you get it to where you want it, it wont move. The best way ive found is to put the O ring between the tip of my thumb and middle finger and catch the edge of the tube with the O ring. Then place the latex across the tube where you want it. Once the latex is there roll the O ring off your fingers on to the tube. You will probably need to pull it on the tube the rest of the way with you off hand until it's all the way around the tube and latex. Inevitably the latex is going to move. To adjust the latex I roll the O ring down a little, out of the groove, and then pull the latex to your desired stretch. I always have a little smiley face in my latex with a small gap less than an 1/8" at the center. It's a process that takes several times until you get the sound you want. I hope this helps.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

West Augusta

I have one from JLCCalls and Matt McLain.  Both are high quality.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

moonman

I really like the pill bottle call I got from Barry.
Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

pappy

The O-Ring will definitely hold when you get the latex where you want it. I always put it on the latex side away from the lip rest side first. like Joe I hold the o-ring between my thumb and middle finger with one hand and then take my other hand and roll it towards the lip rest side while keep pressure against the opposite side. this will create a quarter moon gap of about 1/8" high in the center. Then I check the sound to figure out which way i want to adjust if I need to. I use .004" myself on my tubes.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

mwr

Greg at JLC Calls makes some good ones!! :icon_thumright:

West Augusta

Those really look good Pappy. I just wish that I could run one.  I sound like a goose with a tube caller.  :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

cjordan

Quote from: West Augusta on February 27, 2014, 01:43:03 PM
Those really look good Pappy. I just wish that I could run one.  I sound like a goose with a tube caller:TooFunny:
Glad to know I'm not the only one who sounds like this.

Turkeyman62

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..