turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Roosting in mesquite trees?

Started by BlakeJ, February 26, 2014, 10:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

I've got a buddy with property in south tx. He has birds, but currently they aren't roosting on his property, because he doesn't have any big oaks. He does however have some big bull mesquite trees around some of his tanks. He took a dozer and cleared out the brush around them, so the birds could fly up and down easily. I also told him to put a bunch of milo around them just to get them comfortable with the area. Think they'll start using them? Roost trees in that part of the state are few and far between.

CASH

I busted a bunch of hens out of mesquite tree when I was deer hunting in Texas a few years ago.

That's all I got on Texas turkeys
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

redleg06

I'm from Tx originally and moved to Bama a few years ago... Some of my turkey hunting buddies from over here in Bama couldnt believe what those Texas turkey would roost in/on out there.

They will roost in mesquites, on power line poles, on top of shooting houses, windmills, etc. Obviously they favor the bigger trees if a place has them but they'll find somewhere to roost.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: redleg06 on February 26, 2014, 10:59:28 AM
I'm from Tx originally and moved to Bama a few years ago... Some of my turkey hunting buddies from over here in Bama couldnt believe what those Texas turkey would roost in/on out there.  They will roost in mesquites, on power line poles, on top of shooting houses, windmills, etc. Obviously they favor the bigger trees if a place has them but they'll find somewhere to roost.

+1 on this; I'm originally from Alabama, lived in Texas for almost 10 years, and then moved back to Alabama.  Same thing here - blew my mind what turkeys would roost on in Texas.  I've got video from a hunt close to San Angelo where the gobblers were on the actual power LINES(!!), holding on for dear life as the wind was blowing them around & their fans were flying up, roosted there until fly-down!  :)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

stinkpickle

Quote from: bamagtrdude on February 26, 2014, 01:15:23 PM
Quote from: redleg06 on February 26, 2014, 10:59:28 AM
I'm from Tx originally and moved to Bama a few years ago... Some of my turkey hunting buddies from over here in Bama couldnt believe what those Texas turkey would roost in/on out there.  They will roost in mesquites, on power line poles, on top of shooting houses, windmills, etc. Obviously they favor the bigger trees if a place has them but they'll find somewhere to roost.

+1 on this; I'm originally from Alabama, lived in Texas for almost 10 years, and then moved back to Alabama.  Same thing here - blew my mind what turkeys would roost on in Texas.  I've got video from a hunt close to San Angelo where the gobblers were on the actual power LINES(!!), holding on for dear life as the wind was blowing them around & their fans were flying up, roosted there until fly-down!  :)

I don't doubt that a bit.  They will roost anywhere.

Gamblinman

Seen them roost on top of abadoned houses, barns, old truck headache racks, powerlines. They will roost in mesquite trees, but only if that's all thats available. They will seek out better and taller trees if they are in the area.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

bamagtrdude

It's been a while but the power lines were the "highest point" out on this track of land close to San Angelo, TX; I remember setting up on the scrub cedar brush, which was gnarly 'cause it was so scratchy.  But, we were happy; bagged birds, and that's all that mattered to us!  :)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)