OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shimming Benelli M2?

Started by jay/nc, February 26, 2014, 10:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay/nc

After doing some research it seems that changing/adding the factory shims that came with my Benelli M2 can help change the point of impact (POI).

My question is has anyone here done that and if I need to lower my POI which shim do I use? A thinner shim or thicker shim?

If I can get my POI and POA the same without spending $225-250 on the Burris Speed bead system I would be VERY happy!  :blob10:

MikeStaten

I assume your M2 is shooting high?  If so, have you tried just putting a larger bead on it?

mudhen

The C or D will give you the most drop, they are thick.

The issue is that since you will still use the beads, you should not see much of a change in POI.

Using the shim + a change in your POA might work though...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

jay/nc

Yep it is shooting high Mike. No I haven't tried a larger bead but that would help I'm sure. The one on my gun is pretty small honestly (which I like).

It's shooting 4 to 5" high. I might have to try a larger bead.

Have you heard of the shims helping to lower POI?

MikeStaten

I think the shims would help for instinctive shooting for clays and upland birds but for turkey you use the bead like the front sight of a rifle so I'm not sure the shims will help much if at all.

My M2 also shoots high but I just ordered a larger bead to lower the point of impact.  I ordered the Marble front bead which is just a little bit larger and taller than the stock bead.  If that doesn't do it, I'll just aim a little lower. 

jay/nc

Well that's not the response I was wanting Mike & mudhen.  :)

Guess I'll get the larger bead and see if my POI is acceptable (to me).

If it's not, I might be dropping some coin on the Speedbead. Oh well.

Thanks for the help fellers.

MikeStaten

If you are interested in a Dead Ringer Beard Buster sight package, let me know.  I'll sell it cheap.  I mounted it on my M2 and it wasn't for me but a lot of people really like them.  It was on the gun for 5 minutes and never shot.

jay/nc

Thanks for the offer Mike. Not sure I like the rear and front sight on top of the rib. Seems like it would be more to get caught on vegetation while hunting.

On the Marble front bead you bought... Which one exactly did you order? Model name? Diameter? Color?

BTW do you know which threads for a new front bead will work on my M2?

MikeStaten

No problem.  Here is the bead I bought.  I should receive mine in a few days so if you can wait I can let you know how it fits and take some pictures of before and after.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/961087/marbles-expert-shotgun-front-bead-sight-094-diameter-3-56-and-m25x045-thread-100-shank-extra-lum-fiber-optic-orange

the Ward

You can also use a longer front bead to lower poi. If you move the bead closer to your eye the tapered rib will affect the elevation, and lower the poi. I use a Champion Easy Hit sight that is 2.75" long and 3 mm in diameter. They come in red or green and are very bright. You could also use any of the commonly available fiber optic sights on the market. If you only want to use a front bead, you could also use something like a tri viz sight, but only put on the front, as they come with different height inserts to adjust elevation.

MikeStaten

QuoteIf you move the bead closer to your eye the tapered rib will affect the elevation, and lower the poi. I use a Champion Easy Hit sight that is 2.75"

That is a great point.  Had I thought of that, I would've went with the Easy Hit. 

jay/nc

Great idea! :z-winnersmiley:

Thanks Mike & Ward for your time and input. Now if I can just get on a gobbler in 6 weeks to try this M2 out I'll be a happy camper!  :blob10:

the Ward

Yea, I had the same problem with my Vinci, which also has a tapered rib. When I was aiming lining up the beads it would always shoot high. Read a bunch of posts on some other forums that guys were having the same problem and everyone was either recommending either the easy hit or the bead from a nova. Went with the easy hit and couldn't be happier. Have a Bushnell TRS 25 on the gun now, but if something happens with it I know I've got a backup I'm confident with. I had a tri viz sight on a browning and removed the rear sight and just used the front sight with the appropriate height insert( my eyesight is going downhill with age, couldn't focus on both front and rear sight!) to correct it's poi. Good luck, hope ya get her dialed in soon!

reynolds243

Quote from: the Ward on February 26, 2014, 01:24:25 PM
You can also use a longer front bead to lower poi. If you move the bead closer to your eye the tapered rib will affect the elevation, and lower the poi. I use a Champion Easy Hit sight that is 2.75" long and 3 mm in diameter. They come in red or green and are very bright. You could also use any of the commonly available fiber optic sights on the market. If you only want to use a front bead, you could also use something like a tri viz sight, but only put on the front, as they come with different height inserts to adjust elevation.

yup put the same one on my Franchi Affinity

Ranger007

This looks like what I need to try. My M2 is 4-5" high poi to poa.

I see you have the 2.75 length would the 5" move POI even lower?