OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey bowhunters

Started by bigbird, February 25, 2014, 07:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

How many of you guys on this forum bow hunt for spring turkeys? What do you use, like broadheads, blinds and how far do you like to put your decoys? Last year a hub broke on my double bull so I used my shotgun, but this year I'm gonna give it a whirl again!

guesswho

I killed my first two last year with a Z7 extreme and Muzzy heads.  No deke's or blind, took three days.  One private one public. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

allchokedup

I'm going to try it this year with my crossbow. I've been trying different broadheads; 100 gr Spifire Edge, Crossbow Killzone and Magnus Bullheads. My choice will probably be the Killzone. They're very accurate and if I can get him close enough and still,  I'm going to try and put one just behind his eye. If I don't get that shot I'll go for a lung, heart shot. The Spits are very accurate too, but the Killzone open up a little quicker. The Bullheads shoot good, but I'll have to make some adjustments on my POI compared to the other broadheads.

fallhnt

I bowhunt turkey spring and fall. I use Rage broadheads and kill most of my birds out of a ground blind at less than 10 yrds. I will hunt without a blind but not to often because i will shoot more than one bird per set due to the fact that i can in the states I hunt in.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Frank G

There is nothing like watching the bolt/arrow fly to its mark. Just like a slow motion video. We can take one here in TN during archery season, so when the opportunity presents itself, I'll send it. Have taken one each during fall season for the past 4 years. Stuck one last year in spring. Going to alternate this spring between my Knight 2000 ML SG and the Xbow. I know taking one with a broad head is a hoot. A little bragging rights too  :icon_thumright: Haven't used a fixed on a turkey, for the most part Rage 1-1/2" expandable. Unless your "very" comfortable with a "dead on" head shot, go for the body shot. A couple of flops and toast.  :icon_thumright: My second bird I was slightly off, he was standing broad side, caught him in the left breast, absolutely visarated the bird. Ended up with 4 breasts  :TooFunny: No field dressing required.

Frank G  In Tennessee

northms

Quote from: guesswho on February 25, 2014, 07:50:18 AM
I killed my first two last year with a Z7 extreme and Muzzy heads.  No deke's or blind, took three days.  One private one public.

That's impressive.

KS-Hoyt-Hunter

I have a '13 Hoyt Carbon Element. I've killed turkeys with NAP Hellrazors and Spitfire Maxxs. Ive got some Magnus Bullheads. I picked them up last spring and never shot one with my bow. I've heard they are great tho. I think Spitfires are about as good as anything

gobbler777

Same broadheads I use for deer (SlickTricks) out of a Matthews Drenalin or Razor caps out of my recurve. Double Bull, Smith hen and semi strut jake. Jake looking at me 12 yards away = nap time gobbler.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

mudhen

Same broadhead as deer, Magnus Buzzcuts 4-blade, Hoyt CRX32 bow...

Usually hunt from a blind...just remember to keep the bow high enough so you don't shoot the blind....

Decoys at 10-15 yards...

I far prefer shotguns, but if archery is required, I'm up for it....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

budtripp

In my opinion, decoys are a big part of bow hunting turkeys.  Whether you use a blind or not (I've killed them both ways) some good decoys will hold a birds attention and allow you to draw your bow and really settle in and wait for that perfect angle. As far as broadheads I really like the rocket hammerhead.  Its a 3 blade 2 inch cut mechanical.  But really any big cut mechanical head will perform well. Fixed heads will work but ideally you want to cut as big a hole and do as much damage as you can.

30_06

I like using a 2" grim reaper for body shots or a gobbler guillotine for head shots. I find it much easier to hunt with a bow out of a blind with either or both of the DSD jake/hen decoys.
Having said that it is a real joy to hunt without either the blind or decoys if the situation calls for it.

THattaway

I got a couple no blind birds myself, limited experience really. First was with same montecs I use for deer. Pass thru on a half strut tom at 15 yards with decoys. Second was last year using Feather Duster Phatheads, single hen decoy and shot was 25 yards. Arrow penetrated 8-9" on a quartering standing shot and expended all energy in the tom dropping him on the spot. It's more about shot placement but I really liked the way the Phatheads performed, think it made a big impact. Planning on using them for a while when I use the bow.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles