turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 ga. Patterning Help

Started by Katmandew, February 24, 2014, 08:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katmandew

Shot these today.  Temp was about 42 deg.  20 ga Mossberg Super Bantam and Primos Tightwad choke.  From the magblend pattern it looks like I need to move my red dot so the pattern hits a bit more to the left, but what confuses me is the Fed HWT pattern.  Looks like POI is high and right on that one.  I don't want to burn through all my ammo.  Suggestions for my next move?

Katmandew

deacon

Buy an IC .555 they shoot the blends and fed HW 7s great.

SumToy

shoot a big target.   Now you have a few chokes that have gave good patterns.  Our choke in 562  the SSX (Clark Bush help on size)  the IC folks say 555. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

hookedspur

Quote from: SumToy on February 24, 2014, 10:30:59 PM
shoot a big target.   Now you have a few chokes that have gave good patterns.  Our choke in 562  the SSX (Clark Bush help on size)  the IC folks say 555.
[/quoteThis >>> Shoot at a target at least 4'X4'
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

R AJ

The SSX is a 550 . It looks as though you could move left and shoot Magblends. Personally it looks like you are not seeing the majority of the Fed HW #7s so use a larger paper back ground. It may surprise you.
Certain chokes just don't pattern as well as others in the same brand gun and barrel length. It can drive you nuts if you let it.

I would personally be looking at a 30 yard pattern on large paper to see what is going on. It isn't the one or two shells that you actually shoot during the season that makes these shells so expensive to shoot; it is the 2 boxes or more of patterning that gets you.After that and you know what she will do that it gets "affordable".

If these were dove shells i'd be fishing all the time.

BandedSpur

Different loads often shoot to different POI. That is not a concern. You just need to decide on a load and get some adjustable sights or learn the sight picture you need to put POI on POA.

gophert

Yes, I'm going to echo what everyone else said. 

First, get a large 30X30 piece of paper.  (office max has rolls of brown paper)

At 15-20 yards, sight the red dot in with bird shot.

Back up to 40 yards and shoot your desired load.  Fine tune the red dot if needed. 

When checking pattern density, put your 10" circle on the most dense part of the pattern no matter where it is in relation to your bullseye

cohuttariverrat

I had the exact thing happen to me trying to set up a bantam 20 last season. I used a tightwad as well as an undertaker choke. Magblends and Fedhw#7 just hit different no matter what. The Feds and undertaker gave the best numbers for me. After making the decision and $15 more worth of HW#7 i had it dialed in. Busted a tom with it at 45yd last season and couldn't of been more happy switching to a lil 20ga. That cold of temp may be affecting your numbers. I polished the bore and got above 150's before i was threw tinkering with it last year. This season is TSS for me. Good luck it will be a head thumper once you get it dialed in.