OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How effective is a lone hen decoy?

Started by WyoHunter, February 24, 2014, 08:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

Most decoy layouts use a hen and gobbler. Does a single lone hen work as well? Your thoughts?  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Gooserbat

If I had only one deck I would opt for a semi strut jake. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

drum817

I don't use decoys very much...but when I do it's a lone hen & I've had good luck with it!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

eddie234

Your calling to sound like a hen. A gobbler is coming in to your calling looking for a hen, alot of time when he comes in and doesnt see the hen he'll leave. A jake or less dominant gobbler will sneak in to get a crack at her. A lone hen like all decoys works sometimes and sometimes it dont.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

turkeyfoot

Lone hen is probably the safest bet like said Tom is coming in looking for her it can cause him to hang up and strut some but adult gobbler decoys will spook smaller toms and jakes. Not to mention its safer to hunt with related to other hunters. I most often prefer to just use terrain and set up so gobbler has to come in range before he figures there is no hen here not big fan of the decoy

surehuntsalot

I would say about 50/50 for me,I've had birds come in when they see the hen and I've had them hang up once they see "her"
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jblackburn

First of all, I don't tend to use decoys much, but when I have used a single hen the toms are more likely to hang up just out of range.  He struts to tell the hen, HERE I AM HONEY, GET YOUR ARSE OVER HERE FOR SOME LOVIN! 

Adding a jake seems to help me when I use dekes, adds that territorial piece.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

appalachianstruttstopper

When I use only 1 decoy, it is always a standing jake. In my experiences a lone standing jake has proven to me to be more effective than a lone hen.

wvlimbhanger

As has already been said any decoy may or may not work on any given day or gobbler. 

That being said I have used a lone hen and been successful on several occasions.  If I were to have only one decoy I would carry either a DSD upright hen or DSD jake. 

THattaway

How you set the decoy has something to do with results. I'll use one where it's very open or when hunting with kids or old men (Dad). It helps set up the shot with them pointed in the right direction. If you face the hen toward where tom is coming from he thinks she will come to him, hangs up etc. Put her as if leaving a field and he's more apt to come cut her off.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Mike Honcho

THattaway has a good point...Tom's can hang up if the hen is looking at them (heck they can hang up over anything!) ...they can't understand why she won't come closer as nature intended.

I have had some success using a lone jake in a field edge....looking in towards the weeds, cover etc. where I am sitting.   Just not looking at ME....off to the side of me where I want the shot.    My theory is the tom thinks the jake is going towards the hen he can't see who is in the cover making the hen sounds.   

Now if I could call as good as I can create theories I'd be a heckuva turkey hunter.

matchbook454

A lone hen is great to use but as THattaway has said , face them so that they are leaving the field or towards you.  When using multiple decoys, put them in a line coming past you or your blind as if they were "going somewhere".  Toms usually rush to get in front of them.  I've had much better luck with this set up, even if using 2-3 hens and a jake vs. the typical "spread" which looks like a few birds just lounging around.  This is one of my biggest "now not so secret" secrets.

jwm1485

All i used was a lone hen but finally got a semi strut jake to go with it this year.

bpsmag1026

I have had good luck with a single hen later in the season but have had birds hang up in the early season.

Heller

If I use a decoy it's usually one or two hens, if that ain't workin I throw in a jake